Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Feeding Neon Tetras in my community tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
svkr2k
Members

PostPosted: 2010.03.28(Sun)1:24    Post subject: Feeding Neon Tetras in my community tank Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have an aquarium that has 2 mollies, 6 guppies and 2 zebra danios. I feed them tubifex worms and fish pellets twice a day. No overfeeding.

I added 4 neon tetras into the tank a couple of days back. They are healthy and show nice bright colors. But, when I feed, the mollies and guppies finish up all the food in the water surface and the Neon tetras doesn't swim to the surface to eat. They always swim around in the middle-portion of the tank during feeding.
Question: How do I feed these Neon Tetras?
Please help !
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.28(Sun)3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is your tank. Neons should be kept in groups of 6 or more.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.28(Sun)6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

59- that's a frustrating answer.

What I wold do is attempt to crumble any food you have into tiny bits, or, soak it and get it so it is sinking and THEN add it to the tank so the lower down fish can grab a bite Smile

I have tiger barbs that are very voracious in their eating, and I wonder how there can be any left for the rainbow shark some days.
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.28(Sun)9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much what katie says, either pre-soak the flake so it will sink faster or when you take a pinch of flake to feed, shove your fingers into the water so it gets wet and sinks straight off.

The tetras should figure out surface at feeding time = food soon enough. Livebearers are greedy guts though, might continue to have trouble trying to get enough food to the other inhabitants.
svkr2k
Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.01(Thu)23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Thanks for replying.

59- My tank size is 45L.

I powdered the fish pellets, used my finger to dip the fish pellet powder below the water surface. The Neon Tetras seems to eat little bit before the particles reach the floor. But still the other voraceous eaters compete with these poor tetras and eat 50% of it's food. Also, I have never seen my Neon Tetras go near the floor or search for food below.
So, the Neon Tetra's feeding time is only 10 seconds (time taken for the powdered fish pellets to travel from water surface to the floor) , twice a day.
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.06(Tue)13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use regular flake food that doesn't sink right away like pellets. Distract the other chow hounds by sprinkling on the surface. Then with a tweezers take some from the container and sink by the neons. Very Happy
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.04.06(Tue)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more little trick that might be worth trying is to get a piece of pipe or a long pipette. Put one end in the tank near the tetras, put sinking food in the other. Might be able to train them slowly this way.
Spuds
Members

PostPosted: 2010.04.11(Sun)23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to be the one that comments on the stock... Are your guppies OK with the Danio's, they tend to very nippy when kept in small numbers....

Yeah molly's are big bully's when it comes feeding. The methods already suggested are great... I tend to feed the fish at one side of the tank... then pop in some food at the other side so other fish have a chance to eat...
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.12(Mon)1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do that too - I have an albino rainbow shark that quit coming to the top years ago. I will drop some algae wafers broken up for him or sink some food over his "territory" whilst distracting the other fish on the other end of the tank..
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: