Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
golden barb and 5 banded barb?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
finfin
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.03.09(Tue)22:47    Post subject: golden barb and 5 banded barb? Reply with quote

Can I ask for comments / advise on 2 topics about these fish?

1. I have a golden barb and another which I think is a 5 banded barb but I'm not too sure. It has less distinct vertical stripes than the pictures I've seen. The stripe at the eye is especially faint. It has pale orange fins and tail.It is quite slim and has some red on it's eyes.
Is this a normal variation or is it a different fish? (It's definately not another golden barb). Sorry I can't supply a photo.

2. These 2 barb fish are inseparable, sometimes nipping but more recently rubbing against and bumping into each other then just hanging out together. They both sometimes swim slightly on their sides. The golden barb now has a redder belly than yesterday.
Can these different fish interbreed or are they just playing?

Question Question Question
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.10(Wed)2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both these barbs should have companions of their own species which is why they are swimming together.
There is a chance you lightly striped one is actually the wild form of Puntius semifasciolatus - the golden barb.
http://www.fishbase.org/identification/specieslist.cfm?famcode=122&areacode=&spines=&fins=
is a good place to check.
finfin
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.03.10(Wed)3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

It does look look the ones in the pic. So it is another golden barb after all!

I must admit that I do tend to go against the rules and end up buying a bit of everything rather than a few of the same species. I have one other barb (red line torpedo barb - my favourite & was expensive).
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.10(Wed)4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

finfin wrote:

I must admit that I do tend to go against the rules and end up buying a bit of everything rather than a few of the same species. I have one other barb (red line torpedo barb - my favourite & was expensive).

That probably explains this;-
Quote:
I've got a 180 L Juwel bow front tank. I've had tropical fish for nearly a year now and they just seem to be settling down. I've had huge disasters and losses but keep learning. Still struggle with choosing fish which don't fight even though I read up on them they just seem to have thier own personalities or just like to fight in my tank!?

Fish will fight or be stressed if kept in inappropriate species groupings and a Vision 180 is not long enough for Puntius denisonii.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.10(Wed)4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with diademhill. It is important to research first and stock second. Forums such as this one are very helpful, but you need to be willing to put your opinions aside and open your eyes and ears.

Many fish need their own companions (Imagine if you had to live with no human contact?) of their own species. We are all more than willing to help you choose proper stocking for your tank, if you are willing to let us help you.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: