Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Online Fish Stores
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.09(Tue)17:45    Post subject: Online Fish Stores Reply with quote

I am wondering if anybody can recommend a good place online where I can purchase fish.

There are two local pet stores that sell fish, but the one of them has a very tiny selection, and the other has rude employees. It is family owned, and every person there who I've dealt with treats me like I'm just another idiot who is purchasing something that I probably can't take care of. One guy there actually told me that I wouldn't be able to handle live plants in my tank... and that they didn't belong in new tanks anyway. Confused

But anyways. I'm looking for somewhere online where I can order fish in from. I don't know if they are kind of regional or not... so I live in NE Wyoming, if that helps anybody out.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.10(Wed)1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at liveaquaria.com but I haven't tried them yet.

I am also wondering if there are any good online fish retailers. I really, really dislike the idea of buying fish over the internet due to the stresses of shipping, but my LFS is, for lack of a better term, a hellhole for animals and it makes me nauseous just going there. The mortality rate of the fish I've bought from them has been horrible, too. The next closest place is Petsmart which is a 45 minute drive and for whatever reason, they never have anyone working in the exotics section. Last time I went, I drove 30 minutes only for a manager to tell me (at 3:00 p.m.) that their employee was out to lunch. I waited half an hour before the manager came back and said he couldn't help us because he didn't want to "upset the delicate ecosystem of the tanks with unwashed hands." I offered to wash my hands and net my fish and pick the plants myself and he told me to come back. Rolling Eyes
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.10(Wed)4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fish that you get from your LFS and petsmart have their fish shipped to them, how do you think they got there? Mailing them just skips the middle man if you get them from a breeder. I have gotten snails, shrimp, and albino b/n plecos from aquabid with only one of the snails dying...thats ALL! I would say get them from somebody with good ratings on aquabid.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.10(Wed)4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

caton, is aquabid USA only?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.10(Wed)4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, some ship only to Canada and some ship worldwide (mostly places that are in Asia)

Edit: Here is one that is selling to canada: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishp&1268434205
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.10(Wed)5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Caton! I'll look through there and see what I can find.
Osinga
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.10(Wed)10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thank you Caton.. I found it almost impossible to find suppliers that would ship to Canada. Smile
rales12
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.10(Wed)10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband found livefishdirect.com a while back, apparently. It has a guarantee... Anybody ordered from here?

Edit: They're mostly African cichlids.
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: