Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Eliminating Hydra?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)10:08    Post subject: Eliminating Hydra? Reply with quote

I seem to have hydras in most of my tanks Evil or Very Mad I know that with my larger fish if I don't feed for a few days the fish will eat them. Will zebra plecos eat them? And if not how do I eliminate them without a full recycle of the tanks?

Will the electric shock treatment kill my beneficial bacteria? If not I may do that.
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had some hydra in my tank while I was cycling it and I did some research on how to get rid of them. While many methods involve copper dosing (the same way you kill snails), most articles noted that hydra populations grow due to overfeeding. In my case, they popped up after I added some fish food to start the ammonia cycle. I did a 70% water change and they disappeared.

While possibly not foolproof, I'd try doing a 50% water change and then cutting down on feedings for couple weeks and seeing if that reduces or eliminates your hydra population. This both starves the hydra and likely stimulates your fish to seek them out and eat them as well.

As far as I know, hydra as a whole aren't an immediate threat. They're only possibly harmful to fry.

I'd love to see if anyone has any other methods of dealing with hydra... I had a horrible time finding helpful articles... They either said "They're harmless, ignore them" or "dose with copper."

(As a sidenote - don't try to smoosh them. Apparently, even tiny parts of hydra can grow into an entirely new one! Smooshing them just increases your population, haha.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are hydras?
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydra are small invertebrates that are a few millimetres in length. They have a base, and several tentacles with which they use to catch food.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.05(Fri)0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.torrens.org.uk/NatHist/Aqua/Animals/Hydra.html That's the best page I have found on them... I am going to cut feeding to every other day instead of 2 times a day. Increase my water changes.
I really need to eliminate these quick, I have a whole lot of fry!

Will electrocuting a fish less tank harm my good bacteria? If it won't then I will go ahead and do that along with cutting down on feeding and increasing water changes. I know the electrocution won't get them all because some may be in the filters and on the heater that I will have to remove for the zapping. But it will put a big enough dent in them so that they will be easier to eliminate.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.05(Fri)0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a gourami?
IME Trichogaster species love hydra.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.05(Fri)6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't have any gourami. The infected tanks are mostly 10g 20g and 30g.
I did read that larger fish sometimes will eat them, so here is my list of largeish fish
Frontosas, moori blue dolphin, and Flowerhorn. Do you think any of those will eat them?
The 10g's I can just strip down and put everything out in the sun for a few days. But anything larger its a bit of a pain to do that.

What kinds of gourami's will eat them? and that could also live in a 30g with corys?

Still would like to know if my beneficial bacteria would live through electrocution.... This seems like the simplest safest way to kill the little buggers. Yes I know how to play with electricity safely.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.05(Fri)8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have tiny fry, Hydra are harmless so don't worry about them.
Trichogaster is the genus that blue/opaline/three spot gouramis belong to.

They couldn't go in with your cichlids but a blue gourami could go in a 30g.
Bettas will sometimes eat hydra too.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.05(Fri)11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newly hatched cory fry are tiny fry...
If a blue gourami could go into a 30g with corys I may get one and shuffle him through my tanks, moving out aggressive cichlids of course. Once the hydra are eliminated he would go into a 30g with bronze corys... I need to split my bronze corys into 2 groups anyways and a mid-top fish that's not a live bearer would be nice
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.05(Fri)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got hydra in a shrimp tank once, I put a couple of apple snails and didn't feed for a week and they were eliminated. Apple snails will eat a few but not feeding is what got rid of them.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: