Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fish for sw 10 gallon nano
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)9:56    Post subject: fish for sw 10 gallon nano Reply with quote

what sw fish can I keep in my 10 gallon nano? I have lots of experience. So I can handle a 10 gallon nano so please don't tell me I shouldn't.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

None.

Wait until you can maintain a freshwater environment before killing marine fish.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.03.05(Fri)13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no experience with saltwater fish, a 30 gallon is the minimum tank size to keep. A 10 gallon really isn't ideal because a small chemical problem will spread much faster in a small environment like a 10 gallon. 30 gallons is also small in my opinion but it's more error proof.

In a 30 gallon, you would be able to keep 2 or 3 small fish. A pair of Ocellaris Clownfish and possibly a Royal Gramma come to mind. A 10 gallon aquarium is not suitable for fish. A 10 gallon can really only support a few invertebrates, ideally a shrimp and a couple of snails, but even that is not recommended.

If you want to start a marine tank, please purchase a tank that is at least 30 gallons. I also suggest you read "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Rob Fenner. http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Commonsense-Successful/dp/1890087025 This book details an ideal marine setup and provides descriptions about all the different fish families available to the hobby.

Good luck.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.05(Fri)13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I can handle a 10 gallon nano so please don't tell me I shouldn't.

You shouldn't.
Mazil
Members

PostPosted: 2010.03.05(Fri)18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad tried to convince me to turn my old 15 gallon tank into a nano reef saying I could easily keep 5-6 fish in there according to the good word and long running examples of our LFS.

Thanks to the knowledge I have gathered on this and other websites I was instantly able to erode that opinion...

And then we considered the cost... In our house, temperatures easily exceed 35 degrees (Celsius) on hot summer days and cooling becomes a real issue. Chillers are expensive and even if you can avoid that you will still have to consider the colossal costs of lighting.

In my opinion, a tiny little tank does reef-keeping no justice! a 55 gallon tank would allow for a more breathtaking aqua scape. It also opens up many options for the tank aside from one or two very cramped clowns. Not only that, but you are allowing for a far more stable and favorable environment for your fish that can allow for a bit of error or lack of diligence. People DO forget things, even the most organized.

Surely 3 advisers and myself can be convincing enough for you?
(just noticed that the site's spell checker spells it advisers but the site spells it advisors?????)
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.06(Sat)4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I"ve heard A LOT of people say for salt water is 1 in per 5 gallons of water. So that means I could get 2 or 2.5 Inches of fish. A LOT of people say you could keep a pair of very small gobies.
Mike612
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2010.03.06(Sat)4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in my previous post, even the smallest chemical change can cause a 10 gallon tank to crash. If you are determined to keep a marine tank, a 30 gallon really is advisable. The welfare of your animals is very important and successfully keeping a marine tank involves a lot of dedication, motivation, and research. If you do not have the space or funds for a 30 gallon aquarium, I recommend that you wait until you do. Keeping a 10 gallon aquarium as a first saltwater tank is not responsible and it will not be a healthy environment for marine life.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.06(Sat)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my tip: ^^Read all of the above^^
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.07(Sun)3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that if you can't afford to purchase a 30 gallon setup, where would you have enough money to purchase all necessary equipment for marine in the first place?

Like any other investment, save up first. A down payment if you will.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.07(Sun)7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks all you guys I will wait till I get a bigger tank for my fw fish then use the 29 gallon for sw. Any ideas for that size?
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: