Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What Snail Species is This ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've had pond snails before and they left my plants alone as well. I'm a big fan of snails as algae eaters and tank cleaners!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.05(Fri)0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pond snails, rams horns and Malaysian trumpet snails and all my plants are un touched. But they do eat and dying leaf quite quickly, but never a healthy one.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.05(Fri)5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pond snails and MTS, and my plants look fine!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.15(Mon)3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are MTS capable of eating other baby snail species. Because It's been a little while since those eggs have hatched and I'd guess about 5 batches have hatched since I posted this thread but I'm still not seeing any tiny ramshorn snails. Are they being eaten or are am I just missing them?
Tsartetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.04.30(Fri)3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramshorns! There are two types of snails I like: MTS and Ramshorns. I had a green carpet of algae in my 10 gallon awhile back and could not keep anything alive long enough to help me keep up with it. Otos would not survive and the tank was too small for much else. I tried Ramshorns and it cleared up very nicely.
If I have too many, they get dropped into my larger tank with 6 loaches! Yum. Very Happy
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.01(Sat)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Determinator,

The snails we call "ramshorn snails" are usually species in the family Planorbidae. Other snails with flat-coiled shells in the aquarium hobby may also be called ramshorn, because of the shell shape.

The so-called giant ramshorn snail is not a Planorba species at all, but a type related to apple snails.

Your photo and the egg cluster on the glass look very much like the brown ramshorn snail, in the family Planorbidae. The taxonomy is unclear at this point. These snails do not get that big, maybe 12-15mm or even 17mm for a biggish one, with most of them staying around 10mm. That has been my experience with keeping them for the last ten years. Brown ramshorns will keep their nice brown color if you feed them shrimp pellets and keep them in water with at least 3-4 degrees of hardness. Frequent water changes are helpful. If you don't want to raise snails, don't feed them.Wink Possibly your baby snails are dying from lack of calcium and other nutrients. Unless you deliberately cultivate these snails, many will not make it from the just hatched stage of tiny clear-shelled baby to round brown juvenile, 3mm or so. Overfeeding a tank will result in more healthy, adult snails.

I love the brown ramshorns and actually raise them in a small tank.
A friend of mine keeps the red ones and these are very pretty, too. It all depends how you feel about snails; some like them and think they are cute and fun, and others see them as a pestilence. I will admit that I don't like the looks of the trumpet snails (MTS) much, although they are useful, but I do like the looks of the rammies - even tho' they are NOT that useful!
(It's a toss-up; some say they are useful to eat leftover food but I say what is leftover food doing in your aquarium? *lol*
Smile

Deborah
Members

PostPosted: 2010.06.19(Sat)17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had the same question. I got 2 together with the Java moss that my friend gave me,
one of them ended up as an empty shell (eaten) and the other one was discarded together with the soil in a previous tank disaster.
Now I know they are ramshorn snails. Ironically, LFS(plural) call them "apple snails", and the "real" apple snail is not common on the market.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: