Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My 55gal Planted/Community Journal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.03(Wed)3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

discusluvr wrote:
rams are awesome I have a female and male GB rams and I love them I have them with a couple discus. they arnt agressive. angel fish would be nice too. you could even do 2 female rams and one male. May I ask why you are doing mostly bottom dwelling fish?

Thanks for responding to the Rams and AngelFish...as far as botton dwelling fish. I love loaches, and if I could and the tank was bigger I would add 6 Clowns. The bottom of the tank will be a labyrinth for my bottom dwellers and there will be lots of places for them to find darkness.
With them they will keep the bottom of the tank clean, however I would love to find something in the catfish family (other than the corys) to keep things tidy.

You suggested 2 female rams and one male. Why that combination?
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.03(Wed)3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about Rams in particular, but often with fish, males will pester females. By keeping a low male population and a higher female population, the male attention will be split and the females will be less stressed. This is often true for mollies, swordtails, guppies, bettas, etc. Likewise, sometimes multiple males will fight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.03(Wed)3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

unissuh wrote:
I'd be more worried about the tank cracking under the rock than the stand being able to hold it up. Tank stands are designed to take a lot of weight, I haven't seen yours but I doubt putting rock in would overload it.
I understand they don't like sharp grained substrates like Eco-Complete.

Well the stand I bought was from Walmart LINKhttp://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Deluxe-Aquarium-55-Stand-1-ct/10403807 It states it can hold up to a little over 500lbs and 55 gal of water weights around 450lbs. I also have 2 dogs, one being a Great Dane, that loves to run in the living room. I also have hardwood floors and I don't want to push the threshold of the stand. I might spend 100usd on the material and the labor so it is worth my worry.

The Eco-Complete appeared to be very smooth & flat (like slate). However if I decide to change before everything goes in I have a whole nother bag of 50lbs Playsand.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.03(Wed)3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you making a barrier or will the whole tank be sand?
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
Are you making a barrier or will the whole tank be sand?

All Sand
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You suggested 2 female rams and one male. Why that combination?"

Well chances are the male will only breed with 1 of the females at a time because he defends the eggs. and females don't fight. If you have a tank thats longer than 46 inches you might get away with having two pairs.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

discusluvr wrote:

Well chances are the male will only breed with 1 of the females at a time because he defends the eggs. and females don't fight. If you have a tank thats longer than 46 inches you might get away with having two pairs.

This is not a good idea for Rams which form strong pair bond. A spare female will be hounded away.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)5:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
discusluvr wrote:

This is not a good idea for Rams which form strong pair bond. A spare female will be hounded away.

Sense you have a 50 or 55 you can get 2 boys and 2 girls
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

discusluvr wrote:
diademhill wrote:
discusluvr wrote:

Sense you have a 50 or 55 you can get 2 boys and 2 girls

OK great, but what if I am not interested in babies/breeding....What do I do if they lay eggs and stuff.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.04(Thu)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't want eggs then you can get 4 females don't get 4 males. Or if you doget 2 pairs your bottom fish will probably eat the eggs. so eather way it doesn't really matter
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to: