Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My 55gal Planted/Community Journal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.25(Thu)10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the lighting on the aquarium?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.25(Thu)10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
What is the lighting on the aquarium?

Each canopy has a 15W T8 bulb, 18 inches Tubes 8000K.... I have 2 Canopys, so I have roughtly 30watts of light. Now I can upgrade the tubes to 20W and I have found 30W if I want.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.25(Thu)13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, okay. it looked like 10000k-12000k to me. Thanks.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.25(Thu)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a 20lbs bag of Eco-Complete substrate for planted aquariums. It will convert fish waste into food for the plants and it is Iron Rich. It also creates a natural biological balance which makes cycling a new aquarium faster and safer.

I talked with a friend that has a large planted tank and when I told him I had play sand for substrate he had serious questions. He said if I use JUST sand that I will always be adding chemicals for the plants and more than likely they would die anyways. So he told me to buy this bag of substrate from Petco called Eco-Complete.

So it has been added and I mixed up the sand and gravel now everything is all cloudy, LOL oh well it will settle again and then I can even it out a little better.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.26(Fri)3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I added a 20lbs bag of Eco-Complete substrate for planted aquariums. It will convert fish waste into food for the plants and it is Iron Rich. It also creates a natural biological balance which makes cycling a new aquarium faster and safer

Not quite.

The tank has to be fishless cycled with this in place as it gives out ammonia. You will still need to feed the plants - all this does is start off the feeding and will deplete soon and you will only know when once the plants show signs of deficiencies.

It will not "convert fish waste into food for the plants" any more than sand does.
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.26(Fri)3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL OK thanks

Another waste of money which is tight in this hobby. Rolling Eyes
DaleJr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.01(Mon)2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The project is currently on hold. I wasnt crazy about my stand when I bought it but it was a good price. I really think that it might limit what I can do in the tank (adding big rocks) because of the weight restrictions. So I bought myself some aquarium stand/cabinet plans and I have a buddy that is in the construction business that is going to build it for me.

This is what he is building for me.

This is just a picture of the style of the cabinet, I am using a different color stain.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.01(Mon)7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have whats called Mopani driftwood in my shrimp tank. Usually it has a smoother side, and rougher side (I guess from how it is harvested) and I really like the appearance. Its different than malaysian driftwood, and you can choose to show off the rough side or the smooth side. In my case, I showed off the smooth side in my 10 gallon cherry shrimp tank (see Photo Album)
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.01(Mon)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

rams are awesome I have a female and male GB rams and I love them I have them with a couple discus. they arnt agressive. angel fish would be nice too. you could even do 2 female rams and one male. May I ask why you are doing mostly bottom dwelling fish?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.03.01(Mon)15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more worried about the tank cracking under the rock than the stand being able to hold it up. Tank stands are designed to take a lot of weight, I haven't seen yours but I doubt putting rock in would overload it. If you're thinking of big rocks, perhaps consider putting a bit of eggcrate or similar under the rock (buried out of view in the substrate) to distribute the weight a bit on the glass.

I take it you've already mixed in the Eco-Complete - might not have been a smart move. About the only thing it will do is leach trace elements that your plants require. Good for plants, but not essential. I'd be worried about whether the cories will be alright on it, I understand they don't like sharp grained substrates like Eco-Complete.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to: