Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bettas Male - Female???
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Brad R
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.22(Mon)15:23    Post subject: Bettas Male - Female??? Reply with quote

I have 2 supposed female siemese fighting fish in my tank both "short finned" I was told they are both females because of the short fins, apparently this is not true. How do I tell if they are male or female????
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.22(Mon)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever seen one or both of them pop what looks like the inside of their gills out (flair)?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.22(Mon)16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both males and females can flare but the sure sign of a female is the ovipositor.

If you can see it the fish is female.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.22(Mon)18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Well I just learned something new. What does this ovipositor look like?
djbetta
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.13(Fri)18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a Male :

pchsncrm0812
Members

PostPosted: 2010.08.13(Fri)20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering the same thing about an orange one I got recently for the sorority tank I was thinking about starting. I admit they were an impulse buy.. 2 lonely sad looking females and my heart went out to them!!

I originally put the 2 I got into the tank with my corys and the orange one immediately flared up at the corys and started swimming around bumping everyone in the tank. Never actually nipped but then again I took her/him out right away. I did get the other tank together and put them in there and this one promptly began tearing the fins of the purple female that I got. Needless to say there'sa divider in there now. It could quite possibly be just that there were only 2 (I didn't realize you needed 3 minimum to establish a pecking order) but the immediate aggression caused me to wonder. So I have the same question as 59FIFTY what does it look like?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: