Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Normal guppy behavior?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
justthemessenger
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.20(Sat)19:55    Post subject: Normal guppy behavior? Reply with quote

Hello,

This is my first time owning guppies, and my second tank. I originally had in a 20g/75L 2 pairs (male and female) of green cobras 2 pairs of red neon and 2 pairs of blue tux. The other tankmates are a panda cory, a bristlenose pleco, and two zebra danios. The danios were the first in the tank (originally five, three were eaten by the filter), followed by the guppies two days later. I know that danios can sometimes nip at guppy fins if the danios were placed first. There has been some fin nipping, but then the danios disappeared. Also, my female guppies are fine (all pregnant, oh jeez) but only the green cobra males remain. All the other males are dead. There are no bodies, but no fish "jumping" and no access to the tank from other pets. The filter eating fish problem has been resolved. Do male guppies normally compete like this for females or is something else up?

Thanks for you time.
JtM
justthemessenger
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.21(Sun)22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the views, all set. Another fish friend of mine forgot to mention that male guppies will become aggressive if there aren't enough females, and considering all the females are pregnant even if there were... Smile Also, guppies came in with tetrahymena, so I think it's a wash anyways. Will keep up with the cory, danios, and pleco.
thefishylover
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.22(Mon)19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, usually a good ratio is about 2-3 females for every 1 male.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: