Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Rams and tankmates
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
oohjohn
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.20(Sat)1:16    Post subject: Rams and tankmates Reply with quote

I have one female Mikrogeophagus Ramirez
My water temp is around 76 - 78 with a pH of about 6.5
No ammonia and all that crap

But she does not seem so active. Is there something wrong with her? She doesn't look diseased but she doesn't seem so active. She stays in the back half of the tank and doesn't really swim around whenever I turn the light on. Most of the time when I turn the light (the light is barely on maybe 2-3 hours a day, don't want to burn my java ferns) I see her either behind the cave and at the top back corner of the tank. She does swim around a little but barely from when I observe her and not to the front of the tank. Lastly she doesn't seem to eat or go up to eat but I do see her picking at the bottom a very little.

Can you tell me whats wrong with her if any?/ any way to fix it?
Is she just unhappy? or uncomfortable?
Why doesn't she eat/go near the surface? What type of diet should I put her on (she doesn't eat the flakes)
Why does she stay in the back? and not as active as those I see?

Does she not go to the surface because of the filter? ( I use a 30 gallon filter for a 20 gallon tank)

How long can I keep my light on with java fern plants? since they burn easily or is that because of heat?
Lastly what kinds of fish can I put with the Ram, that would make the Ram the star?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.20(Sat)3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try upping the lights to 7 -8 hours so she can settle. Java ferns won't burn.

Rams are often shy unless there are dither fish in the tank. The ram sees the little fish swimming around and realises that it is safe to come out.
As Rams occupy the lower levels either a shoal of tetras like flame or pristellas or a group of harlequin rasboras would work for this.

Last edited by diademhill on 2010.02.21(Sun)3:34; edited 1 time in total
Arturo
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.20(Sat)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try to feed sinking foods and get dither fish as diademhill explained. Also, what kind of substrate do you have? Mikrogeophagus translates into small eartheater, so sand is suggested for her.
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.20(Sat)18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

She might also be a wee bit cold. Bump up your water temperature so it's closer to 78-80F.

Cherrybarbs enjoy warmer water and would be good tankmates. : )
oohjohn
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.20(Sat)19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

My substrate is very fine sand. 3M colorquartz S grade so she should be fine there.

What types of sinking foods do you suggest? What about having frozen bloodworms and injecting them to the bottom?

What other types of fish can I keep with GBR's? I'm looking for fish that are active but still would have the GBR's color stand out
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.20(Sat)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

most south american tetras r good tank mates for rams like rummy nose, black phantoms, cardinals, neons, ect.
Naisi57
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.21(Sun)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Shrimp? I was planning on a schooling tetra of some type with a couple blue rams, as part of the cleanup crew I wanted to get a few red cherry shrimp to go with a few otos, This will all be in a 40g breeder. And planted.
oohjohn
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.22(Mon)0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today I went to my LFS and got another ram and some Silver Tip tetras.
The silver tips are dithers and are working well getting the lone Ram to swim out more. Both of them. But....
My new problem is that I cannot sex the Rams and so I have no idea whether one is male or not. I have read all about sexing them and the biggest clue to there sex is the pink belly and both my rams do have pink bellies. One of them the newest one does have a darker spot on its body but their iridescent glow doesn't show on the spot....
From pictures I have seen they seem to be about 2 1/2 months old and is hard to sex right now. My LFS also confirmed that they cannot tell at this age either.

So my question is must I really get a male? is it a must? or would it just be a bigger plus?
BigShrimp
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.22(Mon)7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the males 2nd and 3rd dorsal ray is longer than the females .
You might have 2 females going by the pink bellies .

No , getting a male isn't a must but they are usually more colourful IMO .

Have a look at the longer dorsal ray's in this pic .

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_ram.php
oohjohn
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.23(Tue)14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some extremely peaceful tetras/other choices that I can keep with my rams?

I have 6 silver tip tetras that seeem to be aggressive towards each other.
They are also being a little aggressive towards my Rams also.
I'm looking for fish that would grow to about the same size as my GBRs and have nice coloration that wouldnt overpower my rams color but are less aggressive

Would pristellas be good? or maybe harlequins? or flame tetras?
Any other choices welcome
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: