Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Unexpected inhabitant!
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ash-P
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.15(Mon)17:00    Post subject: Unexpected inhabitant! Reply with quote

Hi! My Dad got his first ever marine setup sorted a few days ago with the help of our LFS. We have the water sorted and are 4 days into the cycling process.

While looking into the aquarium earlier today we were talking about possible tank inhabitants when we noticed how much the live rock had changed such as having algae on it now when I thought I saw something MOVE on the rock. I was assured I was just seeing things when a small brown crab with thick white hairs on it appeared from a hole in the rock and ran underneath!

What the heck is this thing!?
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.02.15(Mon)20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's a small brown crab with thick white hairs on it! Laughing Seriously, they are pretty common on live rock, and if I were you, I would make an effort to bait, trap and remove that rascal, because as they grow they can become predators on your fish, especially at night when the fish are snoozing. Your LFS probably has something like this:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/217586/product.web?gdftrk=xh23lc0p/7HDy~g3JgKLc36rTBvIe
/8XarBGbs8KjyGTMcjl43kzwaz7VATNF8zea0sP4oXO44
rbBybkX4JZFIiOrzkaJri/bEfe0A9wHs9ZXnuhXuLefMD
Wv6NUHNnDebwhCw7Mv7B/7zxFjcpDuQ__
Ash-P
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.16(Tue)5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh! Thanks for your help, thats a really good idea! Thing is though, its a nano-reef type thing and that trap looks pretty big, might not fit in!

Is there anything else I can use to bait it then go in with a net? Meat or something that won't be harmful to the water we're trying to cycle?

You said they're predators - Will it eat the snails we've also just noticed in there? Its teeming with life in there! Shrimps and all sorts that were hiding in the rock! I'm guessing the fish will take care of these when we buy them on Friday?

CAN IT LIVE OUT OF WATER?!
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.02.16(Tue)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught the hairy crab tgat was in my live rock one night with a flashlight. I grabbed the whole rock it was on and lifted it clear out of the tank.
Fed that crab to my Stone Crab in my sump...

hey, he had it coming since he ate a $20 cleaner shrimp!
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.02.16(Tue)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash-P wrote:
Ohh! Thanks for your help, thats a really good idea! Thing is though, its a nano-reef type thing and that trap looks pretty big, might not fit in!

Trap is pretty small, 1-1/2 in. x 5-1/2 in.

Ash-P wrote:
Is there anything else I can use to bait it then go in with a net? Meat or something that won't be harmful to the water we're trying to cycle?

piece of raw cocktail shrimp should work....

Ash-P wrote:
You said they're predators - Will it eat the snails we've also just noticed in there? Its teeming with life in there! Shrimps and all sorts that were hiding in the rock! I'm guessing the fish will take care of these when we buy them on Friday?

Yes, predators; if they get hungry enough, crabs will capture and consume anything they can get their claws on... (see comment from number6 about his shrimp) make sure you test for ammonia and nitrite before you add those fish... cycling a marine tank can sometimes take 3 to 4 weeks, depending on how you seed the tank, volume of live rock, etc. Make sure you fully understand this process!

Ash-P wrote:
CAN IT LIVE OUT OF WATER?!

only for a short time, typical for marine crustaceans... Blue Crabs can live for several days out of water as long as they are kept cool and moist; commercial Maine Lobsters are shipped alive, packed in nothing but cool seaweed. Oh great, now I'm getting hungry for seafood... Laughing
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.16(Tue)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught most of my crabs using glass jars tilted against the rock with a shrimp pellet inside overnight. No traction on glass so they can't climb out once they fall in.

I do know of people who simply take a skewer and stab the crab through the face when they see it - instant kill.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.02.16(Tue)18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of crabs, check this one out:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=368767#368767
Ash-P
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.18(Thu)6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah! I'm glad its not that beast in our tank!

We managed to find which rock he was living in, take that out of the water, shook him out of his little hidey hole and took him back to the LFS who happily took it back from us.

I'm not sure how long the cycling process will take because we bought the water, sand and live rock from the LFS who took it from an already established tank, is this a common practise?

Thinking of getting a pair of common clownfish as its only a very small aquarium.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.18(Thu)7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size is the tank?
Ash-P
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.18(Thu)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only a 20G
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: