Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Willie's Sunfish (Hook-n-Line Sunfish) UPDATE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.09(Tue)19:50    Post subject: Willie's Sunfish (Hook-n-Line Sunfish) UPDATE Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I got a bit of time today to snap a few pictures of my babies.
These are young western Dollar sunfish Lepomis marginatus. There are small, aggressive North American native sunfish. I got these guys from a reputable native fish dealer Zimmerman (for more info, PM me).

These guys hatched in late June or early July, and were sent to me in September at .5-.75 inches long. At six months old, most are at 1.25-1.5 inches, with my already large and dominant male at 2 inches. He is already showing color. Here are some pics of the largest male and the other youngsters. No photoshopping on these pics - the fish don't need it! haha. Here they are.
Forgive the tank - they are growing out in a 20 gal long until they are big enough to go into the display tank.

Last edited by UncleWillie on 2011.10.25(Tue)12:18; edited 5 times in total
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.09(Tue)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking fish, surprising they're not more widespread in the hobby.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.09(Tue)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice fish! Are all of your fish Wild caught riverfish or as I say "real fish". I think of real fish as bass and perch and trout. and aquarium fish as pleco or tetras. so do you have any "aquarium fish" fishtanks or are they all "real fish" fishtanks.
Jason L
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.09(Tue)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful fish! I have always been fascinated by native fish, but other than a few experiments gone wrong at the cottage, I have not kept any.

What are the care requirements like for these guys? Difficult to keep? Do you need to use a chiller?

Sorry for all the questions, but NA natives aren't exactly widely kept. I would love to set up a tank someday when I have the space, and can source the fish.

I am amazed that sunfish aren't kept often at all. They rival some of the most vibrant tropicals.

Thanks for sharing!

Jay
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.09(Tue)21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very nice fish and very colorful fish. Extremely natural looking tank, once again!!!! Lol.

29 G
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.10(Wed)4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like sunfish.

Pity ther are, understanably, illegal here. Sad
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.10(Wed)7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the comments, everyone. And there is no need to apologize for questions - that's why we all joined the forum. Wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy talking fish. Smile

59FIFTY, I think I see what you are asking. Most of my fish are wild caught by myself. However, these natives I purchased because I have kept sunnies before (redbreast, greens and bluegill)that I personally catch, but all reached sizes that were too big for any tank I have. So, with these guys reaching about 4inches, I decided to order them since they are not native to my area. I don't keep tropicals anymore - only NA natives.

Jason, these guys require no more care than the next fish. In fact, I'd say that overall, all of my native fish have outmatched tropicals in terms of hardiness (possibly due to coming from the wild - where they are more tolorant of water fluctuations than say a neon tetra breed in a pristine tank environment for generations.
They do not require a chiller, but just kept in an unheated tank. With most of the temperate fishes, they will need a 'cooling' period in winter if you want to induce spawning, but otherwise can be kept at ambient room temp. These guys were feeding on bloodworms for the majority of their life, but now are on Hikari Gold cichlid baby-size pellets. Thus far they have been a joy to keep, though you can tell there is certainly a dominant male who runs teh show. Though they are small, the dollars are one of the most aggressive sunfish. Other more peaceful Lepomis of similar size would be orange-spotted and bantam sunfish.

Though they aren't seen much in the hobby, I would say that out of all NA natives, the sunfishes are the most kept fish (as opposed to darters, killies, minnows). I'm glad to have shared with everyone. Again, thanks for the comments. Any questions / chit-chat is always welcome.
blodhi74
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.10(Wed)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful fish
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.09(Thu)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. So it has been nearly 10 or so months since I have updated. All 5 fish were moved to my main 46 gallon tank once they reach the 2 inch mark soon after the first post. They have all doubled in size, though the females remain quite petite compared to the males, especially the largest male. Here are some pics from about 4 months ago...

Male:

Female:

Male:

Male with female and second male:

Females:

I originally thought I had 2 males, and three females. But now I think the top fish is actually a 'sneaker' male, judged by its recent appearance and behavior since too much larger dollars are present.

Last edited by UncleWillie on 2010.12.09(Thu)19:40; edited 1 time in total
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.12.09(Thu)17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5 dollars share their tank with one bluehead chub, and this small warmouth. Here are some photos of the chameleon of the North American fish:

This guy is so cool. He lurks and swims about the plants and roots until feeding time. Then just about flies out of the tank attacking pellets and food sticks.

Last edited by UncleWillie on 2010.12.09(Thu)19:42; edited 1 time in total
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: