Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
MTS Population Control
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.05(Fri)18:40    Post subject: MTS Population Control Reply with quote

I used to have a planted tank a couple years ago which got infested by pond snails. Oddly enough, they left my plants alone and did an incredible job keeping the tank free of algae and consuming dead leaves. Now that I'm setting up a new planted tank, I'm interested in expanding on this newfound usefulness of snails and getting some Malaysian Trumpet Snails. However, I've heard they breed like crazy (something I already experienced with the pond snails until I invested in a dojo loach).

Aside from leaving traps like blanced zucchini in glass, are there any other methods of keeping MTS populations in check? Assassin snails seem like a viable option, though I'd be concerned with replacing one rampant snail population with another! I'm curious if anyone has any experience with these critters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.05(Fri)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loaches might eat them, but is probably a 50/50 chance. Puffers might eat them, but they could crack the puffers' teeth. MTS have harder shells than other snails, and therefore not many fish will eat them.

29 G

Last edited by monstrosity on 2010.02.06(Sat)22:47; edited 2 times in total
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.05(Fri)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had decent luck with a dojo loach as snail control, though he was pretty lazy about it. I've tried puffers too, but they were way too effective - ended up wiping out an entire pond snail population, much to my surprise. They wouldn't even eat them! They'd just bite at them until they died and swim off, haha. Vicious little things for less than an inch long!!

I'm considering adding shrimp to this next tank, so I'm focusing on shrimp-friendly options at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.05(Fri)21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loaches probably out of the questions, then. Considering u want shrimp.

29 G
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.05(Fri)23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snail populations are best kept in check by limiting their food source. With MTS, this means keeping your substrate clean(er) and not overfeeding your fish so that no food ends up sitting on the bottom.
Heather R
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2010.02.06(Sat)8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not add loaches to a tank for snail control. As Shai already mentioned limit the food for the snails, by keeping a super clean tank and the population will die off, keep removing snails with some bait such as cucumber or even lettuce. Loaches are not for "eating snails" some will eat them, but honestly most won't really care. Since loaches require very specific tank parameters they are not suited for most community tanks.
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.06(Sat)11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the snail population could go one way or the other. On one hand, they'll eat the same things as the shrimp, which means more competition for the snails. On the other hand... they eat the same things as the shrimp, which means more food the snails can grow on! Since the snails are mostly nocturnal, though, I think this means I can start any shrimp-specific feeding activity during the day and then just remove uneaten food before lights-out.

Thanks again for your help and advice, guys.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.06(Sat)18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you like escargot? Laughing
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.06(Sat)22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would never keep a pet whose population I would have to moniter, like snails or shrimps of different sexes. It's not worth the effort, in my opinion.

29 G
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.11(Thu)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends who you know though monstrosity - in my case, I am setting up a cherry shrimp tank knowing I can give them to people who have fish that will predate them - free fish food!
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: