Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Coldwater tank help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.03(Wed)18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. These guys aren't going to show themselves as much as other fish. They tend to stay associated with rock cover and high current. That being said, you will want to set up your tank with lots of current and many rocks creating areas the fish can stick close to. If you get them, don't be alarmed if they stay near the bottom and don't venture around the tank until there is food around - it is there nature. In the wild, you will be able to find them in swift water with cobble or large flippable stones. That stay where the current is fast and they have knooks and crannies to get between.

You will certainly not neeed a heater. and if you tank is in a hot room in the summer, there's very little you can do. Just when you do your routine water changes, pour in the coldest water you can get - they'll love it (as long as you aren't doing giant water changes).

It seems that I have misplaced some nice pics of a fired up male and a gravid female that I took this summer. Maybe I will be able to find it and post it for you.

Check out the bottom of this thread, and you will see how I set up my tank for the longnose dace's cousin - the blacknose dace. Lot's of driftwood/stones/current.
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=54466
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.03(Wed)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I was thinking about something like this, it is my 20g tank with lots of rocks and hiding places, there is even a small castle behind them all, I would of course have driftwood in the tank. Some question's:

How many longnose dace's could I have?
Could I have some MTS with them?
Could I have some plants in with the tank?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.03(Wed)19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've already got a good hand at creating longnose type tanks. Both that 20 and your 55 (with an addition of current) would be exellent setups. So if that's the plan for your 30, I'd do a mix between how your 20 and 55 look. You certainly can add plants - as long as they can stand the current, or are in the slow-flow areas.

I don't know anything about MTS.

Number-wise, I'd start out slow. these guys can get pretty big after a few years, but I'd start with low and see how you like them. Then you can snag some more. I'm not sure how long a 30 is, but I would imagine you could put 6 in there. Large males may get territorial and fight for the best position in front of the powerhead, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, great! Now to get the filter... I am thinking of some kind that create's a bunch of current so I am feeling as though I might get one rated for a 75g aquarium and put a powerhead in with the tank? Also what are the chances of them breeding? IF they do breed I would like to keep some of the young and return the parents to their natural habitat so as not to hurt the environment.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once fish have been kept in captivity you must never return them to the wild.

(OK I have provided fish as part of planned reintroductions but the red tape is unbelievable)

Why are you looking at coldwater instead of tropical or subtropical?
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a part of my schooling I am supposed to be learning about the native fish around my area and what better way to do that than in a aquarium?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
As a part of my schooling I am supposed to be learning about the native fish around my area and what better way to do that than in a aquarium?

By observing in the wild?
Tagging isn't difficult but doing a population analysis over a measured area - number and species and sizes within the species - is much more useful tha the artificial confines of an aquarium.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am studying the behavior, and other thing's in the aquarium, being thirteen I am not going to get that deep in studying them, this is mostly for fun and the enjoyment of a aquarium that has native fish.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill is right about not releasing fish. If you decide you don't like them, give them to someone who does or euthanize them.

Glad to see you interested in keeping natives and your concern for keeping populations stable. But with a fish like that, you aren't doing any harm by harvesting responsibly and for as few individuals that you are seeking.

Spawning them will be difficult - as you will need to reproduce photoperiods and water temps. Blacknose dace aren't as picky. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to spawn them. for your school purposes, just make note of behavior, positioning regarding structure, flows, heirarchy in feeding and territory. This should suffice for your science class.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks Smile . Now that I have my 30g tank all sorted out, I need help with my new 20g. I was going to breed b/n plecos in boths these tanks but deciced to "perfect" the hobby or at least get better filters for breeding. Could I simply have it as a wcmm species tank or can I have 6 wcmm and one fancy goldfish?

Thanks
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: