Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
*180 litre Juwel Tank needs new fish!*
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Francis
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.31(Sun)23:52    Post subject: *180 litre Juwel Tank needs new fish!* Reply with quote

hi there,
its been a while since I've been in this forum and I'm just wondering what fishes will you guys recommend for my 180 litre tank? I currently have some harlequin rasboras, 1 SAE, ottos and some cory cats... All I need now are/is some specimen fishes? and I think that gouramis will do just fine..
Should I choose pearl or three spot gouramis? also do you guys recommend me to introduce a pair of kribensis and some platies?
thanks ^.^
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.01(Mon)10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be in the freshwater basics forum
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.01(Mon)14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, welcome back!

Your current stock sets a rather peaceful set up, with new species that are notoriously troublesome. If I were you, I would hope to keep it that way because you never know with certain types of fish. Anyway, if you are looking for Gouramis Pearls would be better than Three-Spot. They stay smaller and are know to be more peaceful. You would be able to get a pair or trio. Kribs can be aggressive in mated pairs, and this should be avoided in a community set up such as yours. 1 Krib should be OK however. Platies should be fine as well, and their endless supply of fry should be under population control by the rest of your tank mates.
Francis
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the reply dude. really appretiate it hehe... I got 3 platies (2 females and 1 males) and I'm loving them .. they just brighten up the whole tank ^.^
I"m planning to get more platies although one of the females is a bit skinny and her gills are a bit red.. my amonia, nitrate and nitrite lvls are all 0 pmm.
She have a "broken" fin as well.. I might return her back to the pet shop.
Smile
Maestro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis wrote:
She have a "broken" fin as well.. I might return her back to the pet shop.

If you recently bought her, than this may not be a bad idea. Be sure to examine the fish you want and all of them in the tank for disease, death etc. It's best to buy from a healthy batch.

Your Ammonia and Nitrite numbers are fine, however, the Nitrates should have a reading greater than zero in an established tank.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.03(Wed)2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a green filter pad?
This could explain a zero nitrate reading but once nitrates start to show up they increase rapidly. You still have to do regular water changes as the fish produce other wastes that we can't test for.

Pearl or thick lipped gouramis would be good feature fish, a pair of either would be a nice addition,

I would not add kribs but you could try a pair of laetacara sp. These are much less aggressive than kribs.
Francis
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

the platies are all fine now so I'm glad that I didn't return them, they weren't so well in the past few days because of the stress of transporting them? ( it was a rough ride lol)
The girl did have a bit of a scare on on of her little fins at the bottom like nemo but I can see some improvement and she's recovering.

I did took out the green sponge when I first set up this aquarium and replaced it with a blue sponge. I agree with you that the nitrate levels are a bit low and its probably because of the API test kit. I forgot to shake the second bottle as suggested by others when testing for nitrates. The real level is 10ppm which is still low for a planted tank.

There is an odd behaviour between the platys though.. I noticed that their gills are red and occasionally they would rub their gills on my amazon swords. Are they having gill flucks? My guppies have the same problem when I bought them from the LFS but it went away after 1 week or so. And the mickey mouse platy sometimes swims with clamped fins.. Not always but occasionally. Is that a sign that they are not well?

I've decided not to buy kribs anymore because I saw some in the LFS and didn't know that they'll grow that big lol.
Maybe 1 opaline, 1 blue, 1 gold and ? pearl gouramis? all females? and maybe one male pearl gouramis?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get a pair or trio of pearl gouramis as they are much more peaceful than the others which are all colour varieties of T trichopterus.

How heavily planted is the tank?

Reddening of the gills can be an irritation but can be a reaction to ammonia in the transport bag.
Francis
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe thanks for those points ^.^
I just realised that.. like you said.. too many gouramis will or might overcrowd the tank or cause a bit of quarrel and the miss and match of colours don't go well together in a planted tank?

Its a pretty heavily planted tank with many fast growing stem plants such as hyrophila polysperma and rotala rotundifolia.. I've temporarily stopped the CO2 injection and daily dose of ferts because I've found out that the plants don't grow or react any different with or without the CO2.
I'll look forward to getting those pearl gouramis ^.^
kezzie
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.05(Fri)6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I can recommend the Pearl Gouramis.

I have the same tank as you, with fairly similar fish (8 Harlequins, 3 Swordtails, a Bulldog Pleck and 2 Pearl Gouramis) and the Pearl Gouramis complimemt the colours and behaviours of the other fish really nicely.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: