Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My 46 Gallon Bowfront!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.09(Tue)18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.09(Tue)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks caton! Do you think I should go one more layer higher? I think its about an inch and a half.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.09(Tue)19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go for another layer higher - if you plan on planting the tank, you'll like being able to have a deeper substrate for roots.

Also, if you are worried about that showing, you can sprinkle gravel onto your new wet layer and cover it up. That way, if your gravel or sand shifts and exposes your barrier - it will just look like gravel.

Just an idea that many have applied to pvc and other tubing/plumbing in tanks to make it look less un-natural.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.09(Tue)19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go higher and do what UncleWille said and add some gravel to the wet silicone.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.09(Tue)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay well I also plan on having java fern tied to the silicone. if I put the gravel in it would I still be able to do that. and what do you mean on the last part?
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.10(Wed)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay well I just did the final layer of silicone. I did not really worry about putting the rocks in it. well here are the results of it!

What do you think?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.11(Thu)4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it would look more natural if you put gravel on the right side, "inside" the semi-circle, rather than sand. Most aquascapes tend to use the larger grain of substrate in this manner - it seems to give more of a bigger 'feel' to the tank e.g. "island" look as opposed to "sandpit". Be interesting to see how this barrier works out though!
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.11(Thu)18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... Well I already put my gravel on the left... I know its not that big of a deal but it is only about half an inch deep. So it will be way to shallow to put it on the right. I could buy a lot more but I'm tight on money so buying just a little bit more will be much easier.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.16(Tue)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. Today I added the sand and the water!It doesn't look like a sand pit really because the color of the sand. Here are pictures!

59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.18(Thu)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay well I decided to go ahead and start to add things from my other tank to this one. Not plastic plants or anything but some gravel to try to get some media in it. I am cautious to just "throw" the other filter on there because last time I turned it off then back on it sprayed out a whole lot of green and brown water that was in the filter and made my tank really foggy.. What should I do about that? do I need to just add a lot of gravel instead of all of the gunk from the other filter and give that one a good cleaning?
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
Jump to: