Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What extraordinary/odd things have you done for your fish?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
corrado33
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.01(Mon)17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I got... fed up with dealing with crappy materials, and I like to complete things I start... so... I went to home depot and bought some supplies.

$70 later...

My water distiller v. 2.0 Very Happy This one WON'T leak. It's bulletproof.

The new food safe plastic tubing runs through the PVC pipe (it's one big long piece), cause PVC pipe "sweats" bad chemicals when exposed to hot water. Everything's sealed together as it's supposed to be.

I basically used a bunch of reducers to get the inside diameter of the PVC close to the outside diameter of the plastic tubing. I got it there, and had to dremel it out a little bit so it'd fit tight. And yes, the fit was very tight, but I still sealed the ends with new universal, waterproof, flexible, bathroom sealant.

In the previous designs, my biggest problem was the actual cold water in and cold water out ports. They leaked more than the actual center tube, so this time the in and out ports are water (and probably air) tight. There's no sealant involved either. It's simply a couple reducers that lead to a threaded end, which is connected to a brass threaded coupler. This is then reduced more (gah I spend half my money on reducers...), and finally leads to a nipple, which the pipes are pressed on to. The reason the top and bottom look different is cause they only had one of a certain piece, and I had to improvise on the other side.

What do you guys think?

Oh, just realized I switched the cold water in and out ports. Imagine them the other way around. Otherwise it would never pressurize. The in port needs to be on the bottom, so that it'll fill the tube up with water, which will then come out the top.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy a RO unit?
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy a RO unit?

I agree; for $70, why not have just bought an actual RO unit or an actually distillation setup?
corrado33
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the RO unit might be cheaper (I haven't done any research), there are some fundamental differences between RO and distillation. I won't go into them now, but in the end I wanted distilled, and not deionized water.

Plus I made it myself and it can be used anywhere you can boil water. Not that I would however. And the apparatus itself doesn't require any maintenance, unlike RO units. And there are no parts or filters to replace on my apparatus.

People may argue that distillation doesn't remove very volatile substances, like chloramine, but neither does RO, without the accompanying carbon filters.

Plus, a quick google product search didn't find any RO units less that $70. Feel free to prove me wrong however as I spent a full half minute on the search. Very Happy

EDIT: And for an actual at home distillation set up, they're expensive. From what I've seen, they're about 200 bucks for a unit that'll give you your morning's coffee and that's about it. My unit can handle lots of water. How much I'm not sure yet, but I'll let you know.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how does the cost of fuel hold up against filter cartridges?

Why do you need distilled water?

(And it it legal to own distillation apparatus?)
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado33, the PVC and brass part of your contraption looks a lot like the air line I ran throughout my fish room. I run 18 tanks on it now, I have a giant blower attached to it.
corrado33
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
And how does the cost of fuel hold up against filter cartridges?

(And it it legal to own distillation apparatus?)

I don't pay for my utilities (yet). Laughing

I didn't know it was illegal to own a distillation apparatus? Woops Laughing

Fern wrote:
corrado33, the PVC and brass part of your contraption looks a lot like the air line I ran throughout my fish room. I run 18 tanks on it now, I have a giant blower attached to it.

My brother runs a compressor in his garage with PVC, that's why I knew it'd be good.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldnt be illegal to own a distillation apparatus. It is what you DO with that distillation apparatus that makes it illegal or not...
corrado33
Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

katienaha wrote:
It shouldnt be illegal to own a distillation apparatus. It is what you DO with that distillation apparatus that makes it illegal or not...

And if I were to be distilling anything "illegal" would I be posting it on an aquarium website? Rolling Eyes
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly corrado. So carry on with your moonshi..er.. "distilled water" ... ... ... Very good setup Very Happy
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: