Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can guppies survive 3-4 weeks without any feeding?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
megamall
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.26(Tue)3:10    Post subject: Can guppies survive 3-4 weeks without any feeding? Reply with quote

I've just started a new tank of guppies.
It's a 2' x 1' x 1' = 15 gallons tank with 3 males and 4 female guppies in it.
I have 5 live plants in it. I don't know about the species, but I think one is a Rotala wallichii... There's a lamp which hopefully can provide them with enough light for photosynthesis...
Besides that, I have a small corner bubble filter and a drift wood....

I'll be going off for 3-4 weeks back to my hometown... So I was wondering if it's okay to leave them..

Will they survive without any feeding and water change for 4 weeks? I always see the fish nibbling on some of the plants, but wasn't sure whether they're actually feeding on it... Will that allow them to survive for the four weeks? And is 4 weeks without changing of water okay?

There are some vacation tablets available in pet stores, but the maximum will only last for 2 weeks... And what if the fish can't finish the food in those 14 days? Is it supposed to be removed if they don't finish it in 2 weeks? Since I won't be around to remove the unfinished tablet, will it make conditions even worse by polluting the water?

And also, since I won't be around, the light would be kept on for the entire 3-4 weeks day and night.. Would this adversely affect the fish?

I don't have an aquarium back in my hometown, but I have a small 2 gallon tank which I can take around. I can take the fishes back, but 2 gallon seems a bit too small and I've lost quite a few guppies last time while keeping them in the tank... Taking them back may be riskier considering the long hours of travelling and the small tank...

What do you guys think? Will they survive 4 weeks without any care? Can they survive by just nibbling on the plants? Are 2 week vacation tablets recommended? Or should I just bring them home in the 2 gallon tank?

Thanks in advance..
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.01.26(Tue)7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not leave your fish alone for 4 weeks, it is too long to go without food. I routinely fast my fish for 1 day a week, and others have fasted them for up to a week without any adverse effects, but 4 weeks is too much.

No water change for 4 weeks is not ideal, but if there is no way around it, then it is OK.

Do not buy those vacation blocks. They will pollute your water and likely kill your fish.

In addition, for the lights, leaving them on (or off) for the entire 4 week period is also inadequate. Why not invest in a 10 USD timer so that the lights can turn on/off automatically?

The best advice I can give for the feeding is either to have someone (you trust) stop by twice a week to feed your fish or to get an automatic feeder. If you are going with the former, make sure that the food is individually packaged for each day, and that you do not leave any other food lying around, as non-aquarists tend to go feeding happy when they see fish begging for food. This results in pollution of the water column.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.26(Tue)20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the food for each day in individual pieces of aluminum foil twisted up at the top, so it looks like a sack.

29 G
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: