Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help! Problem with Tiger Barb
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
BL1
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.25(Mon)20:11    Post subject: Help! Problem with Tiger Barb Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Last week I had 3 Tiger Barbs (2m 1f) and 3 Rosy Barbs in my 10 gallon tank. Well, I moved the Tigers into my 75 gallon tank and added 6 more to their group. So right now I have 3 Pink Gouramis, 3 Opaline Gouramis, and 9 Tiger barbs in my 75 gallon tank. Well, ever since I moved the Tigers over, the one female has stayed away from the rest of the barbs and swims by herself in one of the plants. Now, I'm not sure what could be wrong with her. But, I went to check on her today after I got home from work, and it looks like the other Barbs have been nipping at her fins because they're all torn up. I'm taking her out and putting her back in the 10 gallon but, I don't know what else to do with her because I don't want her to suffer, and I don't know if she'll be happy in a tank without any of her own species.

Any help I can get with this would be greatly appreciated!
Brian
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.25(Mon)23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

its possible she got sick - either she was a new one and should be quarantined, or if shes an original, she could have been stressed by the move. being that tiger barbs can be pretty mean, they could have seen that she was weak and started picking on her. attempt a quarantine on her, let her heal, and try the move again.
BL1
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.26(Tue)16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, she was definitely one of the old ones, she's close to twice the size of every other barb in the tank. I'm going to move her back to the 10 gallon tank but, will she be OK in there by herself? I'm not sure how these fish fare when in a tank alone. Also, by quarantining her and waiting till she maybe gets better, will her fin ever be able to grow back? or will it always be chewed up like it is now?
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.26(Tue)19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

fins grow back. I'd say put her in the 10g, monitor her behaviour (eating, etc) and see how she does. let her heal up and try to switch her again. like I said, she could have gotten stressed and then weakened by the original move.

when you transfer to the 10g, do it very slowly and carefully so as not to harm her further, as goes for the transfer back to the large tank.

good luck
BL1
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.26(Tue)19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help
BL1
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.27(Wed)20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final update:

Unfortunately, when I woke up my poor Tiger was dead/stuck to the intake of my filter. When I moved her into the tank she was huge, close to 3x the size of the other 2 that I moved from the same tank, and she almost looked like she was bloated or something, so in the end I think that might have had something to do with it.

Thanks again for all of your help.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.27(Wed)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you lost a fish Sad
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: