Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Any sand/gravel barriers that really work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Maestro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cories would go around the tank regardless if it is half gravel, but they should at least be feed on the sand portion.

I suppose you could do two different types of sand, but it would probably start mixing fairly quickly. IMO, just go with one type of sand.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay and I am also going to switch the design. I found out that the more circular side has more area so that side will have sand. and my dad (like always) did not get what I specifically asked for. he got me Silicone I* Clear Waterproof Silicone. Is this the same stuff?
Soodinum
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.03.23(Tue)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to create a sand/gravel barrier myself. I am going to try Styrofoam. I already have gravel on the bottom, and this is my only tank.

Will is be possible for me to deposit the sand to the bottom of the tank with water in it?

Is it okay to have a layer of gravel under the sand? The reason I want to do this is so that there isn't a drastic height difference between the sand and gravel.
bozistheboss
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.23(Tue)12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance but why a sand/gravel barrier? Why not all sand? I'm not trying to make a wisecrack here, I'm genuinely curious. They seem to be pretty popular for Cory tanks Smile
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.23(Tue)13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Boz! Well the sand is for the Cories obviously and the sand that came with the tank is man-made colored qaurtzite which is truely made to clean the sides of gunnite pools. There would have only been about and inch or so of sand without the rocks. The sand also is perfectly spherical every grain is, so it virtually does not trap any gasses. Another reason is I just like the way the it looks. But good question!
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.23(Tue)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can you buy that sand 59?? somewhere common like home depot or a pool/spa store?
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.03.24(Wed)2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly have no clue. The guy I bought my tank from just gave me a whole lot of it, but it wasnt enough to use only it. I can E-mail him soon and ask, but there are no promises.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: