Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Any sand/gravel barriers that really work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.19(Tue)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thank you 59, I now want a sand/gravel barrier for my tank, thank's a lot for having me do more work Laughing
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.20(Wed)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katienaha: I now understand what you are saying. yes I knew one was sand and the other wasnt. I learned a little poem a few years ago to remember them but I guess I got it backwards Embarassed

Caton: Welcome Laughing
Maestro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.20(Wed)17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea Caton, but it is a bit extravagant and I have never heard of it before. Most people usually use a plastic or acrylic strip. I have done this myself, and you always want to have the strip above the substrates, or they will more likely mix. But you can always add plants or rocks to hid the part above the substrate.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.20(Wed)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few questions actually...

1.) Maestro: Is what Katienaha said okay?

2.) Will the Barrier get in the way of plant roots?

3.) How do I clean the sand before I put it in (please be specific...)

4.) How do I clean the gravel during water changes if plant roots are there? I know they can use the the nutrients in the fish poo so how far awyay form each plant should I syphon the gravel?
Maestro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.20(Wed)19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
1.) Maestro: Is what Katienaha said okay?

You mean what Caton said about the Silicone? I'm not sure really, I have never tried it, not the less hear about it. I suppose it could work, but it may be difficult and frusturating.

59FIFTY wrote:
2.) Will the Barrier get in the way of plant roots?

Plant roots will just move in another direction, it's not such a big deal. You could make a nice rock formation along the barrier and and tie small plants to it like Anubias nana or Java moss.

59FIFTY wrote:
3.) How do I clean the sand before I put it in (please be specific...)

Put the sand in a bucket, and put enough water in it so the water is just above the sand. Manually rinse out the sand, and the dust and other debris will mix with the water. Dump out the dirty water, and repeat once the water is clear. It would probably go by much quicker if you used a hose rather than a faucet. If you don't thoroughly rinse out the sand, you will have a very cloudy tank. This can damage your filter, and you will have to do a large water change(s) to clean it up.

59FIFTY wrote:
4.) How do I clean the gravel during water changes if plant roots are there? I know they can use the the nutrients in the fish poo so how far awyay form each plant should I syphon the gravel?

I don't siphon the gravel in my planted tanks like I would in a tank without live plants. I only siphon the surface of the gravel every 3-4 months, or when I decide to reorganize the plants in my tank.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.20(Wed)20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I had forgot that Katienaha had agreed with Caton on that. Embarassed Okay the Rock idea around the Barrier. I think I can make something that looks really cool. Thank you for the specifics on how to clean the sand. Thank you for everything and you can look forward to a journal on this tank. Very Happy
Maestro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.20(Wed)21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good 59Fifty. So when are you picking up the tank?
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.21(Thu)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty soon. I am thinking early Febuary. My first birthday party and my grandmas is this Sunday so I will have enough to buy the tank after that. But I will have to wait to go the get it because I have to have my parents take me over to get it because I can't drive. I also will wait until I get a new phone because mine is broken and my moms has too many pixels. and I am getting my new phone next weekend.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.29(Fri)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a good brand of Silicone because my dad went to work for today and none of what they had said "Aquarium Safe"?
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.04(Thu)17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay well how about instead of having sand/gravel could I do sand/sand? not with barrier but just pour CQ (Colored Quartz) on one half of the tank and play sand on the other side? Or I could also do this same thing but make the barrier to tie plants to. this way my cories can swim the whole tank and not be crowded into that one side.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: