Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pufferfish Tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
JayJay_65
Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.17(Sun)17:31    Post subject: Pufferfish Tank Reply with quote

Alright.. So I have a 38G long tank.. And I want to turn it into a puffer fish tank.. I just suddenly fell in love with these little guys.. And tomorrow at 3pm I'm going to a LFS that sells puffers!

Only thing is that I'm unsure about 3 things...

1) Which puffers can go together? I want to go for Green Spotted Puffers or Figure 8s (preferably GSP)... which other puffers can go with the GSP or F8s?

2) I have about 50 lbs of crushed coral in my tank.. I was originally planning on going with Cichlids, but after falling in love with these puffers, I think I might go with them instead of cichlids... My pH is about 7.8ish... How can I get my pH down? What I was thinking was replacing my subtrate and doing water changes... Maybe some driftwood??

3) What do they eat??

Any help would be totally appreciated =]
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.17(Sun)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_puffer1.php

see the link for lots of information.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.01.18(Mon)8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green spot and figure 8s are both brackish with GS needing full marine as adults. Hard water is fine but get the crushed coral out.

They need a sand substrate, are very sensitive to water quality and your tank could hold one GS or three figure 8 puffers.

No other fish with them. Often they are kept in freshwater at stores and you need to set up tanks to match these parameters and change graduallly.

There are lots of other puffers species.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.18(Mon)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reccomend you get dwarf puffers, instead. They are completely freshwater fish, and you can keep more in your tank. They also seem easier to care for, to me.

29 G
Anime_forever_303
Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.19(Tue)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol GSP are so much fun but they are a handful for one you need brackish water then full marine and you have to do lots of water changes because they are very messy eaters trust me. you need to get them small snails once a in awhile because they have beaks that need to be grind down sort of like most rodents they need to grind dowwn their teeth once awhile to pervernt over growth, so throw in some snails or a crab once evey 2 weeks I like to say. They are fun tho they follow you sometimes they are very smart fish and at the sametime very mean fish so I suggest don't put anything else with them. I have two of them and their doing great with eachother expect one of them steals all the food.lol oh if you are thinking of getting GSP make sure to get a bigger tank as time goes on lol we need to get them a new home soon lol.
Franklin
Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.23(Sat)8:15    Post subject: puffers Reply with quote

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/

Go here! the people, like this site, are really friendly and helpful.

Enjoy!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: