Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Katie's 55g pics December update - pleco pics
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.05(Tue)18:40    Post subject: Katie's 55g pics December update - pleco pics Reply with quote

This last one is a side view from the right side of the tank, you can just see the albino red fin shark in the hidey hole in the bottom right.

The wood is turning the water quite yellow, but I don't mind. I know in due time it will clear up...

This is the tank that is currently inhabited by 5 tiger barbs, 4 gold barbs, 2 zebra danios, albino red fin shark, and a ghost shrimp (maybe 2?), and the new baby bristlenose pleco.

It is a work in progress, as all tanks are. I didn't want to break the bank and buy a ton of plants and have them all die on me at once, so 3 is a good start I think.

Last edited by katienaha on 2010.12.08(Wed)13:45; edited 10 times in total
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.01.05(Tue)22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the plants on the right and left? The one on the right (second & third pictures) might be a terrestrial plant? At least, I don't recognize it if it's an aquatic.

I quite like the wood placement, but you may want to consider moving the sword plant while you can. In the long term, it will grow quite big and is very annoying to move because it develops a huge root system. When it does grow that big, it will basically become a focal point of the tank and sitting right in the middle always looks a bit weird asthetically.

Just a suggestion, what I think might look nice is if you turned the wood just a little clockwise then put the sword plant behind it (just slightly left of where that other plant is now). That way, when it grows you will have nice focal points in a good position (2/3 tank length ratio) which color contrast nicely (brown wood & green sword plant).
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.06(Wed)6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one up front is red melon sword - tag says true aquatic. the one behind to the right is anubiashastifolia, also says true aquatic on the tag.

So you think the red melon sword should go beside the anubias, behind the wood? That would make it quite hidden initially... and then the wood would be fully exposed up front?

How far apart should I place these 2 plants if the melon sword will create a massive root structure?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.01.06(Wed)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at it wondering whether it was an Anubias but thought I should check! Laughing If it is, you should take the rhizome out of the gravel, it will rot & the plant will die if it is buried. The leaves don't quite look right for A. hastifolia, except possibly the tallest one - maybe it's just the emersed growth form (might be worth checking for some pictures online so you know what it should look like).

I would possibly tie it onto the lower branch of the driftwood in the shade (just very slightly right of where that tiger barb? is in your first picture). I find Anubias sp tend to be plagued with green spot algae and some other fuzzy type if they aren't in the shade & it would be a nice balance to the sword on the other side of the wood. Just make sure it doesn't look like it's in the middle of the tank. It should also develop nice green roots that will drape over the wood which I think looks quite nice & helps with that mature look.

Yes, the melon sword would be quite hidden initially - I'm thinking long term where it will probably grow quite a bit bigger than you currently have it. Put a root tab under it and watch it grow. Wink

Hard to answer exactly how far apart you should put them - chances are the sword's root structure will 'carpet' the whole bottom of the aquarium in time anyway.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.06(Wed)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tank looks great just a little bare IMO... I know the plants will grow out nicely and fill the tank more however. I would put a background on the tank. not one of the ones on the roll at the fish store unless its like dark blue. try a black background. I know it would not let the wood "pop" so much but will add a little more realism to the tank IMO.

Also you should have I think 2 inches of substrate, even though those arent deep rooting plants. thats just what I've always heard even from here.

Did you buy that wood or did find it and boil it for days? just wondering because of your other post.
daniosman
Members

PostPosted: 2010.01.06(Wed)11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should add some more danios because they are a schooling fish you should have at least six. plus they look a lot more better in a school Laughing
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.06(Wed)13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will tie that anubias to the wood - good idea. some of the root is exposed currently.. Ill change it up.

59fifty - it is bare. I did mention I have some more plants on order, and waiting for them to come in. I plan on using pygmy chain sword as a ground cover. And I do plan on adding a dark background - my filter is pretty obscene. I do have a deeper substrate than you can see. About 1.5 inches, and a rich substrate is under that plain gravel, but I don't know the name of it.

daniosman - Yes, I have the thread in freshwater basics called "combing tanks/upgrade" and I have my future stock listed. Upping the tiger barbs to 8 or 10, danios will be a total of 6 or 8. I see you are biased towards danios Very Happy
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.06(Wed)13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay just making sure.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.06(Wed)14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP POSTING IMMEDIATELY!!!!! Mad ... you're making me jealous that I don't have a bigger tank. Very Happy Your tiger barbs' cheeks look rosy, which does not comply with their attitude at all!!!! Laughing Is that a Tetra Advanced filtration system???? My grandparents' tank has one of those in it, and it looks like yours.

Yeah, 59, the black frame thing of the tank covers up some of the gravel, but it is still a bit shallow.

Daniosman, just so you know, danios are technically shoaling, not schooling. Schooling is where they move together in uniform, and shoaling is when they go off on their own and all, but still come back and socialize. I think zebra danios are the best example of this behavior.

Katienaha, your shark defenitely needs a place to hide, and he'll likely outgrow that hole, so a cave would be an awesome gift for a grown-up Mr. Shark someday. Smile Wink

29 G
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.01.06(Wed)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before my shark just used to hide under the fake plants, a cave in a piece of wood is a big upgrade for this guy, and he defends it "fiercely" he would like to believe... I'm suprised his head isn't larger Rolling Eyes

When I was actually planting it seemed shallow to me. I have some rock in an old tank currently thats similar, so I might add - I suppose it would be hard to add more of the rich substrate underneath. I'm not looking at hard to care for plants anyway so more plain gravel should do.

My danios are on crack. Never seen a more hyper fish in my whole life. Definetly need to add more soon. They play in the current of my filter.

I think it is called a tetra advanced filter.. actually my tank was a kit. Filter, tank, hood, lights and heater were all around $300CDN. Got the stand for 50% off as well.

Monstrosity - I only have the pleasure of owning such a large tank due to the fact I've been letting the boyfriend "get away with murder" as he put it - allowing him to spend almost 4 thousand dollars this year on an all new snowboard and outerwear setup without so much as a complaint. But isnt that filter obscene looking in a bad sort of way??? Embarassed

Last edited by katienaha on 2010.01.06(Wed)16:47; edited 1 time in total
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to: