Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Algae out of hand!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.26(Thu)23:40    Post subject: Algae out of hand! Reply with quote

OK remember the algae that spread from the rocks to the gravel? Ya well it is out of hand. I really want to clean the rocks very good and do a big clean. I mean like a 100% full on cleaning. Is this possible? If so what would I do with the fish. Just put them in the 10 gallon?
ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.27(Fri)2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be okay to do that for now, but make sure the fish are compatible first. Do a through clean and make sure the water quality is stable again before you put the fish back.
Remember that you will have to find the cause of the algae growing first - It will come back provided the conditions stay the same. Full on cleaning is stressful for your fish, so only do this if the algae is really, really a problem. Are you feeding too much or having too much light in the tank? It's often better to prevent than cure afterward.

Ernie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.11.27(Fri)2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a blackout first. Four days of no light, no food and with a blanket over the tank.

If you strip down the tank you won't solve the problem and in many cases the algae just grows back faster. You have to find out why you are getting this algae..
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.27(Fri)11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Now about the blackout, 4 days of no food or light. No light I understand but 4 days of no food? I understand the reason but won't the fish need to eat.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.11.27(Fri)11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fish will be OK without food and you won't be adding anything to the tank. Test the water before and after the blackout.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.27(Fri)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.27(Fri)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

just did a test on the water. every thing came out okay. the only bad thing was is that the water was slightly acidic. but just a little lower than what it should be
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.11.28(Sat)1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
just did a test on the water. every thing came out okay. the only bad thing was is that the water was slightly acidic. but just a little lower than what it should be

We really need numbers to help you. What does "okay" really mean? The "optimal" pH does not really matter for fish, as many are captive bred nowadays anyway, and can adjust to a wide pH range. More important is a stable pH.

As for the blackout, ensure that absolutely no light can get into the tank (the use of heavy blankets or black garbage bags helps). Also, no peeking.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.28(Sat)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I use the 6 in 1 test strips. they do not give numbers, just say if its safe or not. by okay I meant every thing read it was safe only the acid was a little high. I'm not sure how though.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.11.28(Sat)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need better test kits - preferably liquid ones.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: