Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Diy wet/dry filter
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dwezil28
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.22(Tue)19:21    Post subject: Diy wet/dry filter Reply with quote

After receiving 2 broken Marineland acrylic sump filters from an online vendor, I decided to build my own wet/dry filter. The filter was built using a Sterilite 4-dawer set and a 22 gallon plastic container. I use a continuous siphon overflow box by CPR (800 gph) to move water down into the filter. Water is pump back up to the tank using a Quiet One pump 3000 (780 gph)

The CPR overflow box

[img][/img]

Filter drawers laid out before installation

Filter installed in stand

Filter set up and running

Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.22(Tue)21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did it cost you to make it? Like everything from the broken sumps to the pump?
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.23(Wed)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Marineland sump for $140, including shipping. The vendor was liquidating their inventory. They normally sell for around $260. By the time I send back the second broken sump the vendor was all out, so I got a full refund.

The whole project not including the overflow box ($112) and return pump ($56.00) cost me about $130. The Bio Wheels cost me $27 for three of them. Since the filter also has bio balls, you don
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.23(Wed)14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

29 G
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.23(Wed)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I really wanted to get a wet/dry filter but never had the money. I hope it works out for you really well!
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you setup the filteration. I'm still confussed with were each medium should be and gaps required in between to allow dripping of water.

so, is it fine pads on top, then course then bio balls?

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
oddball808
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides the bio-wheels, I like it.
nice and clean, and seems to fit nicely under your stand.

hows the noise with the doors closed?
looks like you have your bottom drawer slightly submerged to cut down on any drip noise.
oddball808
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibm450 wrote:
how did you setup the filteration. I'm still confussed with were each medium should be and gaps required in between to allow dripping of water.

so, is it fine pads on top, then course then bio balls?

you want your mechanical media to be in the first drawer. this includes your filter pads, poly-fill, filter floss, etc.
the next drawers will house your bio-media. this includes your bio-balls, [b[]*scrubbies[/b], ceramic rings, or pro grade medias like bio-max and substrat pro.

you can fill the drawers as full as you like. as long as the bottoms of the drawers are drilled enough to allow water to drip through, you will be fine.
you may need to experiment with how many and how large the holes need to be.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best first stage for sumps and pond filters is actually Vet Bed dog bedding. This makes a brilliant pre filter/particle trap and can be hot washed or hosed down and reused.

You need the original white with green back.
oddball808
New Members

PostPosted: 2010.02.02(Tue)3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

most dog bedding is made of recycled bed foam and poly-fill. and depending on the chemical process, the bedding can be harmful.
if you intend to use any such material, be sure it contains no chemicals or perfumes.

however, you can buy huge rolls of poly-fill or quilt batting material in the craft section of most stores and this works great for filtration and water buffing.
as with any fine media, it will need to be changed regularly (due to the amount of waste its removing from your water column), but at $4 for a 6 month supply, I don't think you will be hearing too many complainnts.

simply cut off the amount you need, and save the rest for our regular replacement.
I use poly-fill in conjunction with a coarse filter pad (which I simply rinse and reuse), and this method works great for all my tanks. even those whoich are heavily stocked, and heavily fed.

not a speck of floating particles to be seen. and the bare bottom is nice and clean. all thanks to a $4 roll of quilt batting from wal-mart.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: