Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish Not Eating!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
samsungsings
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.18(Fri)14:49    Post subject: Goldfish Not Eating! Reply with quote

I have a 55 gallon goldfish pond with 2 6 inch comet goldfish (feeder fish). I got them in May of this year. They are fed every 2 days. Today I went outside to do the weekly 20 gallon water change. I noticed as I was removing leaves before the water change that the food from the past 2 feedings was uneaten. The Goldfish always eat their food the second it hits the water. I feed them TETRA POND KOI VIBRANCE STICKS (it says it is also for goldfish). The fish are alive as I saw them swimming today. They are not eating. The only guess I can make is they are eating baby frogs (there are 3 small bullfrogs that just showed up one day a couple of years ago.). Is this why? Can you give me a better reason? Please help me.
Maestro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.18(Fri)15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

What country do you live in? What region? I ask because in certain climates outdoor goldfish ponds need to be "winterized" by removing the filter, pump etc. to let the pond sit. The fish tend to hibernate during the winter.
samsungsings
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.18(Fri)17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collierville Tennesse, Right outside of Memphis. the US.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.12.18(Fri)21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fish are probably not eating baby frogs. Any time the water gets under 55 degrees f the any fish should not be fed.

Most animal foods are similar so as long as the fish can eat the food it should be OK but outdoor fish especially Goldfish usually supplement with bugs and algae which are usually available.

The fact that the Goldfish are off their feed should be a warning that something has changed so look to see what is different about their world.
samsungsings
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.18(Fri)21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, no food. but what do you mean by "so look to see what is different about their world?"
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.12.19(Sat)2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish can't digest food once the water temperature drops much under 50F.

In the UK we stop feeding for the winter but try keep the filters running. If you are in an area which freezes you need to bering the fish indoors as 55g is to small to prevent the pond freezing through.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.12.19(Sat)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something in the fishes environment has changed to prevent them from eating. So figure out what has changed and stop that.

Fish are always willing to eat, even if their innards do not digest the food. If the temp has dropped the fish will still eat. It is not uncommon to watch large fish cruising beneath ice looking for food and the fish will eat if fed. Pond owners get a lot of feel goods from feeding fish but most experienced pond owners use Cheerios and Watermelon to give empty calories to fish in the waning days of Fall or Summer otherwise the food sits in their gut but the Bacteria still work even though the fishes digestive system does not leading to massive Bacterial infections. The smart thing to do is watch the water temp carefully and do not feed when it gets too cold. If you have older fish that are worth thousands of dollars why put them at any more risk than you have too?
samsungsings
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.19(Sat)17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay well the pond has never frozen over. The Furthest its ever frozen through is 1 inch. I live in the southern USA. it doesn't get too cold.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.12.19(Sat)18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cold! By anybodies reckoning an inch of ice gets the water (in almost any kind of pond) below 55 Degrees f. I understand that it sometimes snows in Florida and there is currently a 2 foot snowstorm hitting the middle East Coast States.

But the question I have is why have the fish stopped eating. It is not normal for any fish to not eat when food is available, whether the fish have just been fed or not, especially any type of Carp, which is what Goldfish and Koi are. We need to figure out what is causing the problem.
samsungsings
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.12.19(Sat)22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I go take a water test? I can also take the temperature of the water.

Just so you know I use strips (my LFS ran out of liquid testers.). I also just did a test assuming it couldn't hurt. the readings were
NITRATE:0
NITRATE:10
HARDNESS(GH):65-70
CHLORINE:0
ALKALINTIY(KH):80
pH: 6.8-7.0
AMMONIA: My strips do not take a test for this.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: