Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A cool new stocking calculator with a difference!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Reply to topic   Post new topic
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.23(Sun)8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:

Many people on the Betta specific boards cram their fish into tiny tanks and few would keep non splendens species in anything but a species tank.

They have their share of experts on bettas, whether they are spleden or not. I'll let you challenge them if you don't believe me. Wink

Quote:

They put a territorial fish in a small tank and then add a male guppy that will spend most of the time trying to mate anything. The Betta naturally gets irritated and will nip. Nothing to do with mistaking the guppy for another male Betta.
Female Bettas are just as likely to shred guppies.

Yeah I've received this feedback once as well. Hence I added another layer of warning - if too many species are around betta.

Quote:

Right warning - wrong reason.

Let me think about this one... Smile
Kaitswyn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.29(Sat)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently found this and was playing around with it, noticed you don't have Biowheel filters on your list.
Cliff Mayes
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.29(Sat)22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignorance is not the same as stupidity. Just because someone cannot speak our language, read or write does not mean that they do not understand what happens when two of the most aggressive creatures are put together. It seems to be a popular pastime amongst local folk to fight animals and Betta splendens are no exception. Bettas are bred to be very aggressive, have beautiful colors and finnage, and are shipped in very little water, simply because they can be, due to the desire to make money, not because it makes any sense but simply because it can be done. The folks who deal in Bettas want to make a lot of money and do whatever to accomplish their ends.

One of the things about the net is that even though a person speaks from vast experience just about the time a definitive comment is made about the most innocuous thing someone will chime in with "Oh, I have done the exact opposite and it works out just fine!" It does not have to be the truth and there is always some unspoken difference that might be obvious to any experienced person if they could see the setup or know about the creatures past history. Most creatures learn very quickly to do whatever the person in control wants them to do and they do it. The desire to have some place to simply, be, reproduce, eat or sleep is important to most things.
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.30(Sun)2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaitswyn wrote:
I recently found this and was playing around with it, noticed you don't have Biowheel filters on your list.

What is the manufacturer for this filter? Are you referring to the Penguin series?
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.30(Sun)2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Mayes wrote:
Ignorance is not the same as stupidity. Just because someone cannot speak our language, read or write does not mean that they do not understand what happens when two of the most aggressive creatures are put together. It seems to be a popular pastime amongst local folk to fight animals and Betta splendens are no exception. Bettas are bred to be very aggressive, have beautiful colors and finnage, and are shipped in very little water, simply because they can be, due to the desire to make money, not because it makes any sense but simply because it can be done. The folks who deal in Bettas want to make a lot of money and do whatever to accomplish their ends.

One of the things about the net is that even though a person speaks from vast experience just about the time a definitive comment is made about the most innocuous thing someone will chime in with "Oh, I have done the exact opposite and it works out just fine!" It does not have to be the truth and there is always some unspoken difference that might be obvious to any experienced person if they could see the setup or know about the creatures past history. Most creatures learn very quickly to do whatever the person in control wants them to do and they do it. The desire to have some place to simply, be, reproduce, eat or sleep is important to most things.

Yeah I agree with you. In case of Betta, I received more than 100 responses now and their experiences vary SO much more than it does for any other species. I think most people will have to accept the fact that Betta splenden are simply very unpredictable.
Kaitswyn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.30(Sun)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the penguin ones ^.^
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.30(Sun)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaitswyn wrote:
Yea the penguin ones ^.^

The Penguin ones are already there. Wink
Kaitswyn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.30(Sun)11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK, I see it now.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.04(Fri)13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fish I didn't see was Hatchet fish. of any kinds... unless I spelt it wrong.
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.06.05(Sat)0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
Another fish I didn't see was Hatchet fish. of any kinds... unless I spelt it wrong.

There should be a couple. Try searching for "hatchet".
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to: