Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A cool new stocking calculator with a difference!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Reply to topic   Post new topic
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.17(Mon)5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caton wrote:
Saltwater!?!? I think you should stick with freshwater, even then I don't like that idea. Saltwater is a whole different ball game and there are many different variables. Just wondering but do you have any experience with saltwater fish? I am sure you have not even had 1/8th of all the freshwater fish. Try and get the freshwater better, instead of having to focus of two different things.

Don't worry about it. I am taking it slowly and the saltwater section has a RED warning that it is highly experimental. Unfortunately, collecting feedback takes time so I want to do this slowly but integrate as much feedback as I can. This is somewhat different with how I approached freshwater. Anyhow, I am receiving less and less request for new freshwater species, MUCH less than what I used to get. I am still receiving feedback to update some attributes for the species so I will continue to do this. My original goal was only to address common species but I believe I went further than this. I think there's a diminishing value in adding freshwater species that no one will likely to use in the future.

Remember, this is a tool to be used as a guideline for non-experts. It is not a bible for every fish keepers in the world.

I have a saltwater tank as well. But my depth is shallower as I started this part of the hobby more recently.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.17(Mon)8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have done a great job creating a tool that is way above and beyond the ' 1 inch of fish per gallon rule'. it helps to set a better understanding for beginners so they have a place to set a base and research from there. great tool and keep up the good work. my only suggestion is to make a bold statement on your tool stating these are guidelines only and you reccommend the aquarist does their research in conjunction to using the tool
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.17(Mon)8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

katienaha wrote:
I think you have done a great job creating a tool that is way above and beyond the ' 1 inch of fish per gallon rule'. it helps to set a better understanding for beginners so they have a place to set a base and research from there. great tool and keep up the good work. my only suggestion is to make a bold statement on your tool stating these are guidelines only and you reccommend the aquarist does their research in conjunction to using the tool

Thanks. Smile

Perhaps I should mark those text in red. Your suggestion is already on the page but further down.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.17(Mon)8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a few days ago and you do not have Tucan Cory.
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.17(Mon)11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
I was on a few days ago and you do not have Tucan Cory.

No problem - will add your cory.

Thanks.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.17(Mon)12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.23(Sun)8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's new for 2010 05 23 build:

- Added Asher/Bumblebee/Tucano Cory (Corydoras tukano C064).
- Male Swordtales have been marked somewhat more aggressive than the female Swordtales.
- The warning "potentially reaching up to" now respects the unit selected (inch vs cm).
- Spell error for "False Rosy Tetra" has been corrected.
- Removed the warning that German Blue Ram and Bolivian Ram would interbreed.
- Dwarf Platy length has been updated to 1.5 inches. Bioload has also increased significantly due to their shape (fatter than the normal platy)
- Grammar error fixed for the warning - "male betta may attack a male guppy by mistake thinking she is another male betta".
- Temperature requirement for Corydoras metae has been updated to 22-26.

- Added Jad SP-series filters.
- Added Hagen Elite Hush series filters.

- Total number of species in DB has been increased to 896.
- Total number of filters in DB has been increased to 312.

To access the application, please click on AqAdvisor site.

If you have any freshwater species that are missing in AqAdvisor DB, please let me know!!! If you disagree with any of the results produced by AqAdvisor, please let me know that too.

Requester for AquaFX filters: Even their own website has no information on these filters. If you can find any info on them, please forward them to me.
Also, during the past few weeks, I am having some difficulty finding time to work on these projects. If some of your requests are not appearing immediately, my apology in advance. Thanks!
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.23(Sun)8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Grammar error fixed for the warning - "male betta may attack a male guppy by mistake thinking she is another male betta".

This is a myth.

Wild Bettas have short fins and finnage has nothing to do with why Bettas may nip male guppies.

Make guppies irritate other fish by trying to mate with them.

Please check the facts rather than regurgitating twaddle.
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.05.23(Sun)8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
Quote:
Grammar error fixed for the warning - "male betta may attack a male guppy by mistake thinking she is another male betta".

This is a myth.

Wild Bettas have short fins and finnage has nothing to do with why Bettas may nip male guppies.

Make guppies irritate other fish by trying to mate with them.

Please check the facts rather than regurgitating twaddle.

Sorry I wasn't clear on this. This particular message is only displayed if you select male betta splenden. I've checked the fact by posting compatibility question on two boards that specializes in betta species. I've received more than 12 responses on the compatibility between male guppy and male betta splenden and about half of them were disasters. Shocked Either lost them or near death experiences.

As they have pointed out, this doesn't apply to other betta species so AqAdvisor also doesn't report them.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.05.23(Sun)8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear on this. This particular message is only displayed if you select male betta splenden. I've checked the fact by posting compatibility question on two boards that specializes in betta species. I've received more than 12 responses on the compatibility between male guppy and male betta splenden and about half of them were disasters. Either lost them or near death experiences.

As they have pointed out, this doesn't apply to other betta species so AqAdvisor also doesn't report them.

Many people on the Betta specific boards cram their fish into tiny tanks and few would keep non splendens species in anything but a species tank.

They put a territorial fish in a small tank and then add a male guppy that will spend most of the time trying to mate anything. The Betta naturally gets irritated and will nip. Nothing to do with mistaking the guppy for another male Betta.
Female Bettas are just as likely to shred guppies.

Right warning - wrong reason.
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to: