Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A cool new stocking calculator with a difference!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 Forum Index > Ads and Links  Reply to topic   Post new topic
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.29(Sun)2:06    Post subject: A cool new stocking calculator with a difference! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

During the past couple of months of my spare time, I have developed a site that attempts to help aquarium hobbyists figure out how much fish you can add to your tanks. It does much more than relying on simple "inches per gallon" rule. I take everyone's suggestions and try to address them through weekly builds.

If you are interested in this sort of thing, try it out and post your feedback on this thread!

Try this link: AqAdvisor site
I'm a techie at heart so it doesn't look pretty visually. Smile

Last edited by yhbae on 2009.11.29(Sun)13:17; edited 1 time in total
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.11.29(Sun)3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice effort but I only tried four species and came up with "Note: African Clawed Frog requires water depth of no higher than 12 inches in order to breath.." which is a myth.
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.29(Sun)11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A nice effort but I only tried four species and came up with "Note: African Clawed Frog requires water depth of no higher than 12 inches in order to breath.." which is a myth.

Oh it is? Then I better correct it. Thanks for pointing it out. Smile

Last edited by yhbae on 2009.11.29(Sun)13:16; edited 1 time in total
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.29(Sun)13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little article I wrote which explains how aqadvisor.com works. It really is a massive effort trying to accumulate every aspect of all species and the app tries to figure out any potential issues between your selected species.

As I mentioned above, it is still work in progress but I have been getting good & useful feedback.

Link to the short article:

Introduction to aqadvisor.com
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.11.29(Sun)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that. You need to take into account mouth sizes too.
I have just tried
ADF with shrimps, Badis Badis and black neons ( staying in A & B)
giving;-

Recommended temperature range: 26 - 26 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.6.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

No errors.

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 199%.
Recommended water change schedule: 11% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 51%. [Generate Image] [What's this?]

Within weeks this tank would house six fat ADF.
Pavlos
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.29(Sun)13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I put in an 75G tank 10 albino corries the calculator gave me this:

Recommended temperature range: 22 - 27 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 5.5 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 1 - 15 dH.

No errors.

Recommended water change schedule: 6% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 29%. [Generate Image] [What's this?]

if I put with them 7 angelfish the calculator gave me this:

Warning: Your selected species will eventually require 101% of your aquarium's bottom area. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Corydoras aeneus, Pterophyllum scalare) or get a larger aquarium tank.

Recommended temperature range: 24 - 27 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 5.5 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 1 - 15 dH.

No errors.

Recommended water change schedule: 27% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 83%. [Generate Image] [What's this?]

angelfish are using bottom area of the tank?
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.29(Sun)13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
I read that. You need to take into account mouth sizes too.
I have just tried
ADF with shrimps, Badis Badis and black neons ( staying in A & B)
giving;-

Recommended temperature range: 26 - 26 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.6.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

No errors.

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 199%.
Recommended water change schedule: 11% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 51%. [Generate Image] [What's this?]

Within weeks this tank would house six fat ADF.

True. I do have mouth size attribute in DB already but less common species may not have them set correctly. I do about one release per week and collect users' feedback to correct these information.

So I believe you are saying Badis and Black Neons get along OK?
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.29(Sun)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pavlos wrote:

That wasn't meant to be the message - I guess it requires more clear message. Smile

In case of angels, as you are probably aware, when they pair off, they need some space of their own. In your case, you have few of them. The app assumes the worst case - figures out the max number of pairs that can be formed, calculates the total space required, then displays a warning if tank space is not large enough.

The point is that the app assumes every species is different and tries to describe every aspect of each species using attributes in DB which will be used by the app and tries to figure out potential warnings. I've only spent 3 months on it so it obviously needs some further work but with accurate data, I believe the end goal is achievable.

So, if you think what's reported is wrong, please let me know and I'd gladly address them. Future users will benefit from those corrections too... Smile
Pavlos
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.29(Sun)14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

yhbae wrote:
Pavlos wrote:

That wasn't meant to be the message - I guess it requires more clear message. Smile

In case of angels, as you are probably aware, when they pair off, they need some space of their own. In your case, you have few of them. The app assumes the worst case - figures out the max number of pairs that can be formed, calculates the total space required, then displays a warning if tank space is not large enough.

The point is that the app assumes every species is different and tries to describe every aspect of each species using attributes in DB which will be used by the app and tries to figure out potential warnings. I've only spent 3 months on it so it obviously needs some further work but with accurate data, I believe the end goal is achievable.

So, if you think what's reported is wrong, please let me know and I'd gladly address them. Future users will benefit from those corrections too... Smile

the program itself is very good and easy to work... I really like it... and with more work on it I think can help a lot of people that are new to hobby...

can I ask how can I convert L/hour to gUS. my filter is juwel and is not in the list
yhbae
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.29(Sun)14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pavlos wrote:
yhbae wrote:
Pavlos wrote:

the program itself is very good and easy to work... I really like it... and with more work on it I think can help a lot of people that are new to hobby...

can I ask how can I convert L/hour to gUS. my filter is juwel and is not in the list

Thanks. Smile

You have a Juwel filter too... Hmm... They are the only manufacturer I went through that gives no indication on what their filtration capacity is other than the flow rate. gUS was simply meant to be "US Gallons". The problem with going with just flow rate is that different manufacturer uses different philosophy when they design their filters. Eheim canisters use slow flow rate and Filstar canisters uses fast flow rates. They both work very well.

Do you know of a site that gives you some indication how much filtration (in L or Gallons) Juwel filters can handle? I've now received literally hundreds of request on these filters - must be popular over there.
 Forum Index > Ads and Links All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to: