Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Algae out of hand!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.15(Tue)14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

about a 23 inch 20w fluorescent tube and I think I'm getting liquid test kits for christmas, because my parents refuse to let me buy them.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.26(Sat)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be old news, but I too had an algae bloom in a 10 gallon. I received the tank from a friend, all set up. We just carefully carried that thing 2/3 full into my home. Within 3 days I had a cloudy algae bloom. I tried the blackout for 4 days and there were no good results. The remedy I discovered ended up being closing the curtains, and turning the light off for most of the day. It was getting too much natural light, PLUS the tank light. I changed out the wool in the filter every 3 days and it eventually cleared up as the algae died off.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.26(Sat)19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay thanks and you are a little late but thats okay. it will help sonmeone in the future. but my problem is keeping it gone. it really starts at the gravel level and grows under some of the rocks then sprouts up before I can see it.
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)14:09    Post subject: your algae problem Reply with quote

Get rid of the blue actinic bulb. Thats for salt water corals. If you have live plants that are not growing well, get rid of them. Make 25 percent water changes weekly. Do not leave aquarium lighting on longer than 2 hours daily. As said before get a good test kit. Very important get a phosphate test kit and monitor reguarly. High levels are cause for algae growth. Do not put back the rocks that were in the tank before. They might possibly be contributing to the problem.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think 59 has any live plants. Yeah, just leave the light on for a couple of hours, just to promote the fish's colors. How would the rocks affect the algae???? Or anything besides pH and hardness????

29 G
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.31(Thu)19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to: