Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Algae out of hand!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.12.01(Tue)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be a 4 day blackout, not a 3 day blackout. By taking off the blankets today, you effectively are not doing a 4 day blackout.

However, regardless, the fact that you still have algae usually points to the fact that you did not sufficiently cover your tank. Did you ensure that all sides of the tank (including the back) were completely covered so that no light (whatsoever) could get into the tank?

In addition, during this time, you resisted the urge to peek, right?
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.01(Tue)22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

but firday to tuesday is four days is it not? I started on Friday. and the tank was covered completely. or at least I covered it really good. sides and all. and I did not peek. however I did a 50% water change today took out all of the decor and some gravel that had algae on it. and cleaned them all really well. then I too the filter out and cleaned it and then scraped all of the algae off of the rock. the water is now crystal clear and I added much more plastic plants.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.12.02(Wed)4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four clear days without peeping brings it to Wednesday.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.02(Wed)6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay. I'm still not sure how though. but like I said. I cleaned the tank and there is not a trace of the algae anymore.
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.12.02(Wed)7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

59FIFTY wrote:
however I did a 50% water change today took out all of the decor and some gravel that had algae on it. and cleaned them all really well. then I too the filter out and cleaned it and then scraped all of the algae off of the rock. the water is now crystal clear and I added much more plastic plants.

Hopefully, you will not encounter another cycle. I would monitor your water parameters carefully for the next few days just to ensure that a spike in ammonia and/or nitrites does not occur.

59FIFTY wrote:
okay. I'm still not sure how though. but like I said. I cleaned the tank and there is not a trace of the algae anymore.

Well, the good thing is that the algae is gone for now. The next thing to do is to ensure that the root cause of your algae problem is remedied so that it does not come back.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.02(Wed)14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I will do water tests until Friday. Does that sound okay? And yes I am so glad that the algae is gone but I will do my best to find out what was causing.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.14(Mon)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

no units of measure on all, sorry, but anyways my strips read

NITRATE: safe (15ppm)
NITRITE: safe (0ppm)
HARDNESS: soft (75 GH ppm) Memphis has great water!!!
CHLORINE: 0 (none)
ALKALINITY: low (40 KH ppm)
pH: slightly low (6.Cool

there is still algae everywhere. all over the rock, the substrate, plastic plants, everything. Why??? is it like darkblade48 said, Hopefully, you will not encounter another cycle. I hope I don't. my fish seem to be fine. just they now nip at the algae? is this okay. should I return teh fish and cycle the tank again? help please!
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.12.14(Mon)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it has been mentioned previously, but strip test kits are not the most reliable test kits on the market. More importantly, as you can see, the test strip does not even test for ammonia!

What kind of algae do you have? Even with a blackout, as I mentioned previously, if you do not address the root cause of the problem, algae will simply come back.

I would first get some proper (liquid) test kits to determine what the levels of ammonia and nitrite are first. You may not have a cycle, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Then, we can address the algae problem by determining the root cause.
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.12.14(Mon)22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if 59's tank wasn't cycled, his neons would be dead, dead, dead.

U should still get liquid test kits, though. Just in case.

29 G
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.12.15(Tue)3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

What light does this tank get?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: