Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Refugium
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
allmost
Members

PostPosted: 2009.11.23(Mon)10:26    Post subject: Refugium Reply with quote

Hello,
so I had a aquaclear HOB filter, which I Was running empty and yesterday turned it into a refugium (well a very small one).
all I did was I added a 60W light on top (which I'm running on opposit cycle of my main tank lighting) to stabalize pH a bit more and placed some algae which I got from my LFS, not sure what the algae is, its green and not too dense.
my point of a refugium is to lower organics (I have no skimmer and well a lot of algae) and algae growth on DT, also to reproduce some sort of food for the fish and corals and my squids and ... . I have heard of growing copepods, or brine shrimps or ... , any one ever done this ? is it worth it ? or should I just stick to the algae in there and grow those out ?

also, would this refugium do the job of a skimmer ? or do I still need a skimmer ?
I heard about skimmers skimming out too much trace elements and good stuff out of my 20G and most people I talk to advice me not to use a skimmer, but my algae is taking over and ..

also, would growing algae in a refigium lower my caroline algae growth ? I have started adding calcium (keeping it close to 440) and have seen some caroline algae growing on LRs in DT, I love those and want to promote their growth so would this refigium use up all nitrate and phosphate and leave nothing for the caroline ?

as u can tell I'm new into reef keeping and each new info I find mixes up my whole thoght system, still need a lot more info and research I guess
20 Gallon SW
2 clown fish
1 blenny
3 anemones
3 coral
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.11.25(Wed)21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so I had a aquaclear HOB filter, which I Was running empty and yesterday turned it into a refugium (well a very small one).
all I did was I added a 60W light on top (which I'm running on opposit cycle of my main tank lighting) to stabalize pH a bit more and placed some algae which I got from my LFS, not sure what the algae is, its green and not too dense.

By 60watt globe I assume you mean a standard incandescent bulb. I'd recommend switching to a compact fluorescent globe or energy saver bulb. Chances are you'll get one thats a more suitable colour temperature which will also last longer.

Quote:
my point of a refugium is to lower organics (I have no skimmer and well a lot of algae) and algae growth on DT, also to reproduce some sort of food for the fish and corals and my squids and ... . I have heard of growing copepods, or brine shrimps or ... , any one ever done this ? is it worth it ? or should I just stick to the algae in there and grow those out ?

The algae within the refugium provides habitat that will generally be colonised by a number of creatures. The refugium will lower organics unless the macroalgae is unable to compete with the microalgae species. You will have to remove some of the algae on a regular basis to actually achieve any nutrient export.

Quote:
also, would this refugium do the job of a skimmer ? or do I still need a skimmer ?
I heard about skimmers skimming out too much trace elements and good stuff out of my 20G and most people I talk to advice me not to use a skimmer, but my algae is taking over and ..

I find skimmers to be very beneficial especially in small tanks where generally you struggle to maintain high water quality. If you're worried about a skimmer reducing the trace elements then just do more frequent water changes.

Quote:
also, would growing algae in a refigium lower my caroline algae growth ? I have started adding calcium (keeping it close to 440) and have seen some caroline algae growing on LRs in DT, I love those and want to promote their growth so would this refigium use up all nitrate and phosphate and leave nothing for the caroline ?

Growing macro algae in your little hob refugium, if successful in exporting nutrients will help with coralline growth but slowing down the nuisance algae growth.

Also you say you're adding calcium, are you monitoring your alkalinity? If you want good coralline growth you need to monitor and dose to maintain your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels. However in such a small tank regular water changes will most likely maintain your magnesium levels high enough.

Andrew
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: