Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dyed Albino African Clawed Frogs
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.19(Thu)17:03    Post subject: Dyed Albino African Clawed Frogs Reply with quote

Just something that I thought we should all be aware of.

Upon walking into my LFS today to change one of my light tubes, I noticed some neon green and hot pink creatures in one of the tanks...upon closer inspection they were dyed African clawed frogs (Xenopus laevis) from the albino variety. That LFS has sold many dyed fish before - and I know it's an issue amongst the hobby, but now spreading onto frogs? What next?

Here is a picture I found which looked pretty much like the ones I saw

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Frog,%20311.jpg

I find it horrifying to see such animals been treated that way. I think it's been a fairly recent thing these "new variety" of frogs enter the market...so for those who like aquatics frogs - please don't buy them. No market for dyed animals will mean an eventual decline in sale amounts and hopefully an end someday.

Ernie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.11.20(Fri)2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be worth checking if your countries laws actually allow this. Certainly here in the UK we haven't been able to ban the sale of dyed fish although it would be illegal to dye fish here.

Dyed frogs may be the trigger we need to get the import banned.

Last edited by diademhill on 2009.11.21(Sat)14:03; edited 1 time in total
ernie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.21(Sat)9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked with one of the shopkeepers from another LFS here today. He said he had never heard of dyed frogs, so they might be genetically modified.

According to the European Union law on animals, importing, selling or possessing GloFish is apparently illegal. There may not be a law which specifies "GM Frogs are illegal".

Now I remember that the frog was green or pink throughout its whole body, unlike the picture I posted earlier with only partial colours. Therefore I assume it's a GM frog instead...(unless dip-dyed). The shopkeeper told me that it would be unlikely for dyed frogs to survive long either due to the fact that the kidney in amphibians are extremely sensitive to chemicals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIWFrdJMVhA&feature=player_embedded

The above video shows the kind of frog I saw. Apparently they have been around for some time already...

Perhaps not dyed, but still disgusting don't you think?

Ernie
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: