Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Field trip in Hong Kong
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)0:08    Post subject: Field trip in Hong Kong Reply with quote

Just got back from a trip to HK and thought I'd post some pictures you guys might like to see.

Went for a day trip out near Sai Kung (as country-like as HK gets):

Missed photographing lots of brackish crabs and nerite snails near the mouth of the stream while trying to avoid an army of mosquitos unfortunately but...

The stream we went walking up, mostly overhanging vegetation with rocky bottom:

Saw quite a few fish swimming around. At least 4 species, unfortunately couldn't get a good picture of one (was an orange/black striped bottom feeder that looked like a Botia sp to me).

Ever heard of the fish spa? ...as soon as I put my feet into the water the fish came over to pick at them.

Shrimp too (couldn't get good pictures of some larger 3-4 cm specimens unfortunately):

Waterfall upstream; bit dry at the time that we went. Probably good 'cause we climbed straight up.

Some of the emergent plants:

Ericaulon sp anyone? Didn't recognize the others.

View from the top of the hill:

Went to the Sai Kung live fish market after. Pick your poison and the restaurants catch and cook it for you straight away. Felt kind of bad for some of these.

Anyone recognize these?

How to catch a mantis the non-pussy way:

Taste pretty good too.

Had to post this, laughed at this polystyrene boat/raft:

Visited the goldfish street the day before but I won't bother to post pictures 'cause there are plenty scattered across the 'net for people to see.

Just had a laugh at this:

...wonder what the heck he's fishing for.
keithkyli
Members

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)2:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Hong Kong! It's really nice you've visited some countryside spots and didn't spend all your time in the city. Have you been to Hong Kong before?

My parents sometimes go to Sai Kung to buy fresh fish and crabs to cook at home. I think the polystyrene thing is a huge electric plug, isn't it? I know there IS an electric plug on/near the sea, but not sure if it is the one.

For the seafood restaurants, I personally feel the worst about horseshoe crabs being caught and tossed around on the ground. They are living fossils and don't provide much meat to eat. No one would ever consider them seafood, but there they are, cramped in small glass tanks as trophies for parvenus.

Just some utterance here: If you act ignorant and try to buy some fish from a shop on Goldfish Street, you'd see why so many aqurists in Hong Kong have overstocked tanks...we've been misled by mischievous shop keepers, but we already got our fish/plant, and we have nowhere to return them to. I know it's the fishkeepers' responsibility to read and think before buying anything, but the shops should provide true information too. Here, most of the shops just want to sell their goods quick.

However, the huge variety and low price of fishes really make the street a must-go for fishkeepers in Hong Kong.
ak dylpickles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like gold fish street Sad
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to live in HK, I visit every 3 years to keep my permanent residency.

Goldfish street is nice if you're after something but I really had nothing in mind & can't bring anything live back to Australia anyway. Caveat emptor anywhere you buy, goldfish street is no worse than many LFS.
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.17(Sat)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golfish street is always good for cheap equipment Wink
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.24(Sat)2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

a very cool trip unissuh! thanks for the pictures. Yes, I have heard of a fish spa - I like to refer to them as fishy pedicures. There's quite a few local lakes (deep in the bush mind you that takes hours to get to on backroad and trails) that are stocked by the Ministry of Forests due to being nesting sites for species such as pelicans, and you can step in the water, and be swarmed by tiny little fish! If the water is warm enough for swimming, get in, and prepare to be hysterically laughing in about 10 minutes.

I have never heard of goldfish street.. I'll go search it..
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2010.07.24(Sat)2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos unissuh! When I left Japan in 2008 the "fish massage" thing with Chinese Algae Eaters was a bit hit there...and probably still is. They would set up a stand at the local mall and charge 1000 yen (US$10) for 15 minutes...and people would line up!

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2010.07.25(Sun)4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful photos, unissuh! When I saw them, many ideas for "biotopes" or theme tanks came to mind. There's a lot of good material there for anyone interested in creating a Chinese mountain-style set-up.
Very Happy
Did you by any chance visit the Tung Hoi Aquarium Company in HK?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.25(Sun)5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one picture with all the emergant plants, if you look to to the right, those smaller plants almost look like something like a staurogyne.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.07.25(Sun)6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures. You didn't see any WCMM, did you????

29 G
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: