Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
29 Gallon Monstrosity Journal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.02(Mon)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tank. Smile Any plans for hardscape (big rocks, driftwood, etc.)? I see you have a bubble ladder so I'm guessing you'll be doing DIY CO2? I've had a lot of success with plant growth with mid lighting and DIY CO2.

coryfan wrote:
Have to say that zebra danios are still one of my favorite aquarium fish. The little guys are great for cycling and they provide plenty of zippy fun during the process.

Though zebra danios are hardy and usually can survive the cycling process, cycling with any type of fish should NOT be done and is not advocated on this site. It is cruel and painful for the danios, and is completely unecessary when one can do a fishless cycle.

Pavlos wrote:
can you explain this little more? chinese algae eaters can stuck on the fish? like otos?

Chinese Algae Eaters generally eat algae when they are young, but as they mature and grow larger they become aggressive and tend to start attacking and killing their tankmates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.02(Mon)20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a red-tailed black shark today, and will post pics of him soon. My tank really has no visible algae, so the RTBS alone should be enough to keep the algae down.

I didn't originally put the danios in. I let the tank cycle with the plants and dosages of stress zyme for about 3 weeks, and then I put the zebra danios in. I assumed this would be easier on the fish. They didn't show any signs of struggling. Not once have I seen them go to the top for air.

nikelodeon79 wrote:
Nice tank. Smile Any plans for hardscape (big rocks, driftwood, etc.)? I see you have a bubble ladder so I'm guessing you'll be doing DIY CO2? I've had a lot of success with plant growth with mid lighting and DIY CO2.

coryfan wrote:
Have to say that zebra danios are still one of my favorite aquarium fish. The little guys are great for cycling and they provide plenty of zippy fun during the process.

Though zebra danios are hardy and usually can survive the cycling process, cycling with any type of fish should NOT be done and is not advocated on this site. It is cruel and painful for the danios, and is completely unecessary when one can do a fishless cycle.

29 G
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.02(Mon)20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a RTBS today, and will post pics of him soon. The tank literally has no visible algae, so the RTBS alone should keep the algae under control. I hardscaped just for him. I had no caves for him, I know they like these, so I put in an artificial piece of driftwood that I've had for a long time.

Well, I tried DIY co2, and it wouldn't work, so I bought the Nutrafin Natural Plant System. It came with the ladder, and it has given me great results.

I didn't originally put the zebra danios in. I cycled the tank with the plants
and stress zyme for about 3 weeks, and then put the danios in, because I knew it would be very stressful to use them from the beginning.

nikelodeon79 wrote:

coryfan wrote:

Pavlos wrote:
can you explain this little more? chinese algae eaters can stuck on the fish? like otos?

Chinese Algae Eaters generally eat algae when they are young, but as they mature and grow larger they become aggressive and tend to start attacking and killing their tankmates.

Setup: September, 2009.
Dimensions: 30.25

29 G

Last edited by monstrosity on 2010.06.01(Tue)13:45; edited 1 time in total
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.03(Tue)10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

monstrosity wrote:
I didn't originally put the danios in. I let the tank cycle with the plants and dosages of stress zyme for about 3 weeks, and then I put the zebra danios in. I assumed this would be easier on the fish. They didn't show any signs of struggling. Not once have I seen them go to the top for air.

My response was originally to coryfan, who said that they are good fish for cycling. Wink

However, cycling with plants requires a lot more plants (including lots of fast growing plants) than what you have. Unless you were adding an ammonia source (fish food, pure ammonia, frozen shrimp/prawn) your tank is not cycled.

Sometimes fish do not show outward signs of ammonia/nitrite poisoning, yet still are affected. It burns their gills. Subjecting fish to a cycle can cause them to die outright, or can shorten their lifespan and decrease their quality of life.

My experience with RTBS is that they are not as forgiving to poor water conditions as danios, and are aggressive/territorial fish. The danios should be quick enough to evade capture, plus they are mid to top dwellers so should not bother the RTBS, but I wouldn't put any other sort of fish in such a small tank with a RTBS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Maestro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.03(Tue)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 is correct, their are two common ways to cycle:
Fishless cycle
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php

Silent cycle
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_silent_cycling.php

If you thought you were doing the silent cycle, you weren't. Amazon Swords aren't very fast growing, and you only have 1. I suggest you purchase a master text kit if you don't already have one, and post your Ammonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite results here.

I also have to agree with nikelodeon79 about the Red-Tailed Black Shark through experience with its cousin, the Rainbow Shark. They are aggressive to an extent to slower, smaller fish, but I believe your Danios should be fine. What other fish are you planning on adding?

Last edited by Maestro on 2009.11.04(Wed)17:48; edited 1 time in total
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.03(Tue)21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that zebra danios would be able to CO2-exist with RTBS because of their speed and swimming level. As of now, the RTBS is timid, and the danios are stealing all of his food lol. I'm sure as he gets more used to the tank and matures, this will change. As for other fish, I was planning on adding either tiger barbs or cardinal tetras. Many people have been successful keeping cardinals and RTBS together, but I know it's not that great of an idea. If I did this, I would be sure to have a cave for the RTBS to establish territory in. A lot of people say RTBS aren't agressive until a fish swims by their territory and the RTBS chases them away and besides that they're fine. Tiger barbs are usually compatible with RTBS, right?

29 G
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.04(Wed)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the RTBS is beginning to eat some(he has a small bulge on his belly), and has taken refuge in a hole on the end of the driftwood(he makes regular tank rounds, though). He still shows no signs of agression, which is a plus. Will the hole on the driftwood be a sufficient cave for him, or should I still use some rocks to make one for him?

29 G
Maestro
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.04(Wed)17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

monstrosity wrote:
Will the hole on the driftwood be a sufficient cave for him, or should I still use some rocks to make one for him?

The driftwood is not in any of the pictures you have up, could you post a picture of it please?
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.04(Wed)17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro wrote:
monstrosity wrote:
Will the hole on the driftwood be a sufficient cave for him, or should I still use some rocks to make one for him?

The driftwood is not in any of the pictures you have up, could you post a picture of it please?

I can't post a picture of it right now, but I'll tell you that it's a small hole, I think it's to keep the driftwood waterlogged, but it is large enough for the shark to turn around in.

29 G
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.04(Wed)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the hole.

29 G
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: