Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
need help with a gravel/sand barrier
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Brandon14
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.26(Mon)21:29    Post subject: need help with a gravel/sand barrier Reply with quote

I am going to be setting up an 120g soon and would like to know a way to keep a sand area from mixing with the rest of the substrate.

Thankyou, Brandon
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.10.26(Mon)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using plastic dividers is likely your best bet; however, with time, the sand will still be able to find its way past the dividers and mix with your other substrate.
Brandon14
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.27(Tue)15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply darkblade, is there a way I can curve the dividers and also is this something I want to put in before the gravel and sand to close of the seperate areas, or should I pour in the diffrent stuff then stick the dividers between the sand and gravel?

Thanks again, Brandon
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.27(Tue)15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon14 wrote:
Thanks for the reply darkblade, is there a way I can curve the dividers

Buy one of those flexible plastic things people put on the bottom of doors to make it airtight. I used this successfully in a 20g tank that had a three way divided substrate (two different color sands and gravel). Darkblade is right that the substrates will eventually start to mix a bit, but it did a good job for quite some time and it wasn't a big deal to do maintenance and put the substrates back where they were supposed to go.

Quote:
is this something I want to put in before the gravel and sand to close of the seperate areas, or should I pour in the diffrent stuff then stick the dividers between the sand and gravel?

You'll want to put it in before. If the tank is not set up yet I would go ahead and silicone the plastic piece(s) in place and let it set for 48 hours before adding water or substrate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Brandon14
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.27(Tue)17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that sounds like a good idea nikelodeon, the plastic things will be removable even when silicon is holding it to the tank right, all il have to do is pull the plastic and silicone off the bottom of the tank?

and while I'm at it does anyone know a cheap, safe sand I could get at a walmart, or home depot?
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.27(Tue)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Depot is great for sand. I got 50 lbs. of play sand for $3. It was also very well pre-rinsed. I barely had to rinse it.

29 G
Brandon14
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.27(Tue)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thats great to hear!
Brandon14
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.29(Thu)16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the silicon be removable after awhile or will it always be at the bottom after I attach the plastic door thing to the tank bottom?
Sophia
Members

PostPosted: 2009.11.20(Fri)19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also making a divider (well, my husband is) out of polystyrene coated with gravel (stuck with epoxy) but we are having trouble finding something to stick it to the bottom of the tank.
The LFS has RTV silicone sealant which is the same as what is found at the hardware store but needs 24 hours to go off. Is there any other glue I can use that doesn't need this amount of time? I don't have a spare tank, my fish will have to live in a bucket while it's being stuck.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: