Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ideas for tank background.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
silent_rock_faery
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.23(Fri)2:30    Post subject: Ideas for tank background. Reply with quote

I know these kinds of things usually get asked around a lot but what do you use for your tank background?

and if possible, anyone want to suggest something for me?

Here is the tank as of last week, the plants will grow more I am sure, but any ideas? currently I am using tinfoil. It looks terrible.

diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.10.23(Fri)3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take off the tinfoil. Crumple it and smooth it out again. It will look better.
mandle
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.23(Fri)4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot get a printed background then you can try a really simple easy to change way - get a large sheet of poster board - they come in various colors - cut to fit and tape it on. Some people paint the back but I never would want to do something that permanent. On a really small tank I have even used dark colored construction paper. If it happens to get too wet and looks ragged simply replace it with a fresh piece. Cheap and simple! When I first got my 37 gallon (used) it had a big map of Ireland as a background. It was strange but the colors fit nicely with the tank - tan and green.
UncleWillie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.10.23(Fri)8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used posterboard. I used to use black all the time (can't go wrong with black), but recently came across some very deep browns. I now have brown posterboard as a background and it looks great. I like it becuase it is still dark, but it is much harder to tell it is paper. Looks great for a 'natural' look.

I obtained a second-hand aquarium with a painted blue background, and like madle said, maybe don't go with something permanent. Think cheap and replaceable! Very Happy
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.23(Fri)8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of solid black, no nonsense backgrounds for tanks. They put the focus where it should be: on the fish and the aquascaping.

I do also like really complex, natural looking DIY backgrounds, but haven't had the time/energy to complete one myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
mustbekarma
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.10.23(Fri)9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you cut the posterboard or construction paper to fit, you could laminate it, provided you have access to a laminator. Since I work in a school, access isn't a problem for me.

For all my smaller tanks, I've just cut blue construction paper to fit, and just laminated the paper. As long as the background isn't too "big" to fit in the laminator, that works pretty well. By the time the construction paper is laminated, it's as sturdy as posterboard, and waterproof to boot.

I assume you could laminate posterboard to get a really sturdy background.

As to color, I love using a dark, royal blue, similar to the blue mylar you can get at fish stores. I've also used black and light, sky blue, but I'm not as enamored of those colors.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.23(Fri)9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally just never scrape the algae off the back pane of glass. In time it fills in and looks good. Plus its free Laughing
mustbekarma
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.10.23(Fri)10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern wrote:
I personally just never scrape the algae off the back pane of glass. In time it fills in and looks good. Plus its free Laughing

Free is good! Is it the hard, blue-green algae (cyanobacteria?) that you let grow. I admit my 20 gallon guppy tank has quite a bit of that on the background because it's such a pain in the rear to clean off. For the most part, all the algae I get on the background is that ugly brown diatom stuff.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.23(Fri)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

On most its the brown. On some its some type of green. I'm just not one of the anti-algae people I guess.... It does no harm, its a little beneficial, and I'm lazy Laughing
monstrosity
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.10.23(Fri)16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use black posterboard. I don't have to tape it, though, because the wall behind my tank has, I don't know what it's called, a window-sill-like frame. I just set the posterboard on that, and it stays.

29 G
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: