Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
8.5 Gallon (10) Cherry Shrimp
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.22(Mon)22:01    Post subject: 8.5 Gallon (10) Cherry Shrimp Reply with quote

This tank has been running with shrimp in it for about 2 weeks. I had a spike in ammonia and nitrites due to not being cycled properly (whoops...) and yesterday I changed the ugly gravel substrate for some play sand.

I am really happy with the looks of it, and I had some bacopa and little bits of glosso from my 55 that were not doing well due to being eaten by the tiger barbs. So far it has been sprouting new leaves and doing alright.

The pic is a little fuzzy, I took it with my cell phone, as my camera was stolen when we were broken into so I hope you can excuse the glare as well.

Stock is only 4 RCS right now. We'll see if they like their home enough to make little shrimplets Very Happy
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.23(Tue)0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and I have a piece of wood soaking in a bin right now to leech the tannins. I will be tying that floating anubias to it soon.
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.23(Tue)13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you know I cannot find a single LFS here that sells anything even closely related to moss????? I would reallly like to have a moss covered piece of wood, but no!
katienaha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.24(Wed)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a piece of wood in today after boiling and soaking. I have lazily rested the anubias on it, might tie it down another day to a little knob on the wood.

I think what might be fun and a little different for this tank is there is a lake about 2 hours from here that I remember as being overrun with shale. I think I will take a little road trip out there when the ice comes off the lakes and gather up some prime pieces and sort of create caves, like what you'd see in a cichlid tank, but miniature, and for shrimp Very Happy If I am lucky, I will attempt to find one that is underwater and moss-covered, and attempt to grow it in my tank, as I still can't locate any moss in this town.
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.24(Wed)20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sounds good. Keep us updated on this. I have always been timid to consider growing natural moss in a tank because some moss takes over entire lakes... But have fun with it and don't freeze. Laughing
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.27(Sat)7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything new? Please post more pictures!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.27(Sat)7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

give me 3 minutes..

EDIT: here goes.

I have added the wood, and water sprite, taken out the fake plant, and tied the anubias to the driftwood. The anubias and water sprite, and bacopa all came from my 55g, and they were neither doing well, nor were they doing poorly, so I figured what the hell, why not.

Excuse the finger in the photo, I just noticed it, and I'm not taking another. This is taken with my cell phone, (camera stolen) and I don't want to pay to send another to my e-mail.
Caton
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.27(Sat)8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks way better, but will look LOADS better if you added a backround, I also see that you have a HOB heater, I have one of them but have found them to not be as reliable so have a spare Wink
Regulars

PostPosted: 2010.02.27(Sat)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it probably would look nicer. I may have to take my client from work out shopping today, so we might just stop by a dollar store and I can pick up some poster board for myself along with the things he needs. I need a background on my 55G too.

I agree though, I am liking the look of this much more now. I was too embarassed to even take a picture of how it looked before with the funky gravel I had in there.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: