Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish have white lips and dying
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
laurabell24
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)12:24    Post subject: Fish have white lips and dying Reply with quote

My penguin tetra has white lips and has been acting funny for a few days , then I brought home a red wag platy who has white lips last night and she died today
Any suggestions?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like columnaris which is bacterial.
What size is the tank and what are the water parameters please?
laurabell24
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)19:53    Post subject: reply to columnaris Reply with quote

I think its becasue I vacuumed out the tank real good yesterday and I did not ck the pH afterwards and it was real acidic , I losta new platy and a mollie gold dust , the gold dust didn't look weird , but the platys lips were white just like my penguin tetra who hasit really bad , I have quaranteined him , his lips keep getting worse every day , what do you think?
Laura
laurabell24
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)20:42    Post subject: columnaris Reply with quote

diadhemhill, I am SURE thats what it is HOW DO I TREAT IT ?
I need to know ASAP as I've lost two fish from it , my penguin tetra who started it has it BAD and I've seperated him , BUT I just put mega money in fish in the tank yesterday , WHAT TO DO ?
laurabell24
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)20:44    Post subject: columnaris Reply with quote

My pH was like way out around 8 or so I'm sure from me vacuamming so good last nite and not cking it , it only charts to 7.8 but the pH tabs are 1 tab per 10 gallons , my tank is 55 gal , I had to put all 8 in there to bring it back down to 7.6 not supposed to change more than .5 a day so ill ck it again tomorrow
HELP WITH columnaris !!
ANYONE!
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

diademhill wrote:
What size is the tank and what are the water parameters please?

Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
How long has the tank been set up?
Tank size?

If you will answer these questions we can start to help you more Laura, also what new fish did you just put in as you said you spent "Mega money" on them.
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)22:19    Post subject: Re: columnaris Reply with quote

laurabell24 wrote:
My pH was like way out around 8 or so I'm sure from me vacuamming so good last nite and not cking it , it only charts to 7.8

Having a pH of 8.0 is not that unusual. My tap water pH is usually 7.8 - 8.0, so there really is no need to be overly concerned. In addition, people often place too much emphasis and stress on pH, when it is not all that important to fish. What is more important is a stable pH.

laurabell24 wrote:
but the pH tabs are 1 tab per 10 gallons , my tank is 55 gal , I had to put all 8 in there to bring it back down to 7.6 not supposed to change more than .5 a day so ill ck it again tomorrow

Aha. I see the problem. Using chemicals to try to alter pH is a sure way of stressing out fish. By adding chemicals you are trying to fight with the natural buffering ability of your water, causing the pH to swing up and down, and stressing your fish. Stop using the pH tabs to adjust your pH. In fact, don't worry about your pH!

laurabell24 wrote:
HELP WITH columnaris !!
ANYONE!

Have you taken a look at our articles section? There are several articles on common aquatic diseases and their treatments. I have linked you to a pertinent article below:

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_disease2.php
laurabell24
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.18(Fri)11:33    Post subject: columnaris Reply with quote

thats what it ended up being , it is columnaris , I lost two fish a platy and a mollie gold dust whichi had just gotten , but it started out with a penguin tetra that I had gotten 13 days ago , am going to treat tank with antibiotic prophlactically , and treat penguin who is quarantined , if he makes it at all , hes been tough , hes made it thus far
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.18(Fri)19:58    Post subject: Re: columnaris Reply with quote

laurabell24 wrote:
am going to treat tank with antibiotic prophlactically , and treat penguin who is quarantined

Being a microbiologist, I would recommend against using antibiotics as a prophylactic. The last thing you want is to get a antibiotic resistant strain in the future...
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: