Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
decor for goldfsh tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.16(Wed)1:14    Post subject: decor for goldfsh tank Reply with quote

What do you guys use as decor in your goldie tanks? I am at a total loss as to what I can put in my goldfish tank, they eat everything and most fake decorations look bad. Could I do some rock work or nice drift wood? What about mosses? I know the rock work will probly be a no no as most people say not to have sharp surfaces around goldfish as they have delicate tails, and I have a pearscale who could chip on it.
Classic
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I would do is get 2 or 3 sandstone collums depending on the size of your tank and a lot of smooth river rocks surrounding those collums, as an additive you can grow java moss and java fern (which arent usually eaten by fish) on the sandstone. some floating twigs on top will add a nice affect as well.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could do an intentionally tacky tank.......
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic wrote:
what I would do is get 2 or 3 sandstone collums depending on the size of your tank and a lot of smooth river rocks surrounding those collums, as an additive you can grow java moss and java fern (which arent usually eaten by fish) on the sandstone. some floating twigs on top will add a nice affect as well.
Won't sandstone mess with my pH? I don't like the idea of floating twigs either. I know I am being really picky here, but thats because I am used to nice planted tanks..... I may try some java moss though, and some anubias nana.

Fern, as it stands the tank already has a plastic log and a budha head in it -.- I don't want to get any tackier than that... I will say that the budha head doesn't look bad now that it is algae coated, and we do have some other statues that look really zen and peaceful, yet not a castle....

There is a picture of the current decor in the thread in my sig.
Classic
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandstone will raise the pH a bit, but don't worry too much about it goldfish are very hardy and can adapt, even the fancy variety's, try a bunch of thin peices of blue and red slate stacked to make pillar and cave like structures, then get some bogwood thats tall, thin and full of rivets and holes. use these to stand vertically in the back of the tank like mangrove roots, then you can grow the anubias nana on these and maybe get some other logs along the front of the tank and grow the java moss on these until its a thick carpet.
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem with wood and rocks other then the fact that they will have an adverse effect on my pH( I have no buffering capacity in my water) is I am keeping a pearlscale gold fish as stated in the original post. These fish have large calcium deposits on their scales that are easily torn or broken off, once removed they do not grow back. Drift wood could also catch the fins of my fish and tear them as they are delicate. Hard items I.e. rocks are pretty much a no go because of this fish.
Classic
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this then, I've never tried it, but I have a friend who had success with it.

get a wire frame in the shape of your tank and strech a net over it like a grid and bury it in the sand. you can grow your java moss on this, to make a nice carpet.

and for the java fern you need to grow it on a rock or driftwood.
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been debating making the back glass a huge wall of moss. I just don't know if the goldies will eat it faster then it can grow. I know they can clean a .25in bead of duck week off the top in about 4 days....
Classic wrote:
and for the java fern you need to grow it on a rock or driftwood.
Java fern can grow unattached, it just doesn;t look as natural. I have it growing freely on the substrate of my 75g tank.
Classic
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? I've never had any luck with it off of a rock or driftwood
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.17(Thu)21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta make sure it is anchored to the substrate, I use led weights for this.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: