Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Basic cycle question
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Site Issues  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic
Augie(nyc)
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.14(Mon)22:18    Post subject: Basic cycle question Reply with quote

Hello friends...
I recently set up a new 3g eclipse.
I started it with gravel vacuumed debris & water from my established 30g tank.The next day I added 7 neons.
It's been 2 wks & no sign of ammonia yet.
Sooo here are some questons...
*is the bio load too small to start a cycle?
*Have I avoided a cycle because of my startup method?
Any opinions or comments are welcome.
thanks
Augie(nyc)
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.15(Tue)3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you have avoided a cycle but what are the nitrite & nitrate readings?

7 neons is too many for the tank even with donor media. If they are tiny they will survive for a while but the tank is much too small.

A 3g is about as small as can be cycled and maintain a cycle but not with such high stocking.
KMX
Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.15(Tue)9:34    Post subject: Re: Basic cycle question Reply with quote

Augie(nyc) wrote:
Hello friends...
I recently set up a new 3g eclipse.
I started it with gravel vacuumed debris & water from my established 30g tank.The next day I added 7 neons.
It's been 2 wks & no sign of ammonia yet.
Sooo here are some questons...
*is the bio load too small to start a cycle?
*Have I avoided a cycle because of my startup method?
Any opinions or comments are welcome.
thanks
Augie(nyc)

If you started it with all that from a established tank you will be fine. There should be no cycle. I think Cycling is a waste of time.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.15(Tue)10:01    Post subject: Re: Basic cycle question Reply with quote

KMX wrote:

If you started it with all that from a established tank you will be fine. There should be no cycle. I think Cycling is a waste of time.

Cycling is unavoidable, it happens whether you plan it or not.
Adding bacteria from a established tank avoids the harmful effects of a cycling tank on the inhabitants but to say "I think Cycling is a waste of time" suggests you are not fully aware of the processes involved.

Personally I just seed tanks these days but I test the tank by adding an ammonia source and checking that the bacteria are working before I risk any fish. I do have spare filters or filter media so I can jump start a tank in an emergency.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.15(Tue)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with diademhill. I always have a few extra filters running on my tanks so that they are full of bacteria in case I need to put a tank together without much notice.
7 neons is way too much bio load for a 3g tank.
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.15(Tue)20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to echo daidemhill and Fern's sentiments; a 3g tank is much too small for 7 Neons.

I would say that a Betta might possibly be the only fish that could fit into a tank that small, and even then, I would say it's pushing it. Personally, I wouldn't put a Betta in anything smaller than a 10g Razz
Augie(nyc)
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.15(Tue)21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses,but I respectfully dissagree.
You people are VERY conservative.
I agree that a 3g is too small for anything larger than a betta or neons,white clouds ,danos ect.
I also agree that a 3g is too small for any fish to claim a territory.(better to use schooling fish)
BUT..these schooling neons have more room to move around than I do in my studio apartment.My last 3g held one betta,2 danos & two dwarf frogs.
All were happy & healthy for over a year(0 ammonia/0 nitrite/7ph).
If 7 neons were too much,the ammonia would have spiked by now.
I seriously doubt I've avoided a cycle,If anything the bio load is too SMALL
and will take longer to build ammonia.I'll monitor the water quality let you know if I'm wrong. Augie
Darkblade48
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.15(Tue)22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augie(nyc) wrote:
Thank you for the responses,but I respectfully dissagree.
You people are VERY conservative.

I don't think we are being very conservative.

Augie(nyc) wrote:
I agree that a 3g is too small for anything larger than a betta or neons,white clouds ,danos ect.

Neons, White Clouds and Danios would not be suited for anything smaller than a 10g, I would say.

Augie(nyc) wrote:
I also agree that a 3g is too small for any fish to claim a territory.(better to use schooling fish)

The only schooling fish that might be possible would be Galaxy Rasboras.

Augie(nyc) wrote:
My last 3g held one betta,2 danos & two dwarf frogs.

I would say that this is very overstocked. In addition, 1 year is not a very long time to keep fish. I have kept various tetras for approximately 6 years, and other fish have been with me for almost 9 years now!

Augie(nyc) wrote:
I seriously doubt I've avoided a cycle,If anything the bio load is too SMALL
and will take longer to build ammonia.I'll monitor the water quality let you know if I'm wrong.

As mentioned, what are the levels for your other parameters? There is quite a high chance that your tank will crash with the result of all your fish dying Confused
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.16(Wed)0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augie(nyc) wrote:
BUT..these schooling neons have more room to move around than I do in my studio apartment.My last 3g held one betta,2 danos & two dwarf frogs.
I wholey disagree, I have a 10g tank that is almost fully stocked with 7 neon tetras, and I have a clawed frog that has been in my tanks for 10 years.

A 3g tank is no place for neon tetra's or anything other then shrimp or a betta, maybe some hard to find species of fish can do OK in it,(galaxy rasboras and dwarf puffers) but what you have is grosely over stocked.

A 3g eclipse is a great tank to have but you must stock it accordingly. I would suggest taking back the tetras and getting something that can do better in the space allotted. I am also truely sory if I sound condescending in any way, its hard to get tone across in text. The best option for the fish(your pets) is to find them a larger home and purchase different aquatic life for your tank. I would be happy to help you find some great occupants for it if you allow me and the other board members to help.
Augie(nyc)
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.16(Wed)23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to be civil but the insults kept coming. The problem with forums is too many people THINK they are experts.
The question posted was NOT an invitation to debate what constitutes an overstocked tank.
Darkblade...we're all impressed that you've had tetras for 9 yrs.Do you prepare each meal yourself & wipe each tetras' a** every time they dump?
If I buy a fish & he lives happy for over a yr THAT'S OK WITH ME.
I do not have a fish funeral every time one dies.I would be bored with the same fish in my tank for that long.I keep a blue cray fish in my 30g,
last month I had 7 cherry barbs,now I have 6 .THAT'S A NATURAL TANK
THE ORIGINAL QUESTION REMAINS EXPERTS.
WHERE IS THE AMMONIA IN THIS "OVERSTOCKED"TANK.
3WKS/0 AMMONIA/0 NITRITE.
BE CAREFULL IF YOU RESPOND(probably better if you don't respond)
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: