Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
powerhead and canister for 30 gallon tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishfreak68
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.01(Tue)15:22    Post subject: powerhead and canister for 30 gallon tank Reply with quote

I have a 30 gallon tank. I want to put a powerhead in it so my anenomia gets more current besides what my filters are putting out. Now I want a powerhead that I can use in my 30 gallon and also transfer to my 75 gallon I am getting at the end of this year. Any suggestions?

Also, can I buy a canister filter system that can run in a 75 gallon but use it in my 30 gallon right now? If so, any suggestions?
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.09.01(Tue)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of the power head, you may find the Maxi Jet 250 to be a nice option. It has a flow rate slow enough not to blow you 38 gallon tank crazy, but it can serve for secondary water flow in a 75 gallon, especially in the areas near the sand that need a more gentle flow.

On the canister filter subject, I can not provide you an answer in good conscious. I could not recommend that use a canister on a marine aquarium. These filters are designed to trap detritus, resulting in the breakdown of organic acids. This process causes both Nitrate and Phosphate accumulation, as well as depletion of the major buffering ions, such as Calcium and Magnesium. The marine hobby is much simpler when mechanical filtration is eliminated altogether, and this includes canister filters.
fishfreak68
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.01(Tue)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean eliminate mechanic filtration. What other kind is there?
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.09.03(Thu)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanical filtration is the act of trapping free floating particulate waste, removing them from the viewing area. These particulates quickly break down, causing an increase in nitrates and phosphates, and indirectly expose organic acids to carbonate ions, depleting the buffering ability of the water.

It is a funny question you ask, because with mechanical filtration, the waste remains exposed to the water column, so essentially nothing is accomplished to improve the water quality.

In marine aquariums we rely heavily on the protein skimmer, which actually REMOVES organic acids from the water. This occurs without allowing for the acids to break down into harmful nitrate and phosphate, and this removal of acids allows for a more stable carbonate buffer system, helping to keep calcium, alkalinity, and pH stable.
fishfreak68
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.04(Fri)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO what kind of protein skimmer do you recommend for a 75 gal tank?
MarkLehr
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.09.05(Sat)6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

The skimmer style and quality depends somewhat on the system you have and the livestock.

For example, is you have a sump system, I personally like the ASM G1 protein skimmer for a 75 gallon tank. You can see it here:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/203772/product.web

If cost is a huge issue, then the ASM mini G is a high quality skimmer for a more affordable price:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/203774/product.web

I prefer the G1X for you because it is capable of handling a large fish bioload or handling a reef environment. The G1X is capable of an upgrade to a 125 gallon tank. With the mini G, you will have to be more careful about the overall water quality and potential for Nitrate accumulation. A 75 gallon tank is pushing the limits of the mini G.

If you do not have a sump system, then I would suggest the Berlin X2 hang on skimmer, seen here:
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/3734/product.web

Keep in mind, the skimmer should be your most expensive purchase, as it is the true life of your system and will determine your long term success. It will pay for itself by dramatically reducing the need for water changes and supplements.

By the way, you should ignore the manufacturers suggestion on tank size, as this suggestion is only an advertisement attempting to gain your purchase. When it comes to tank size and skimmer choices, you need to talk to people who have actually used the skimmer. On each of these skimmers I suggest above, I have first hand experience.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: