Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bushy nose pleco attaching to new molly male
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mrcleansmom
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.01(Tue)0:30    Post subject: Bushy nose pleco attaching to new molly male Reply with quote

I have an established 30 gallon wtih a male 4 inch ish pleco, a juvenile female bushy nose pleco 2 inches, a male gourami, four female mollies (one creamcycle, one black, one silver, one dalmation). I just added a gorgeous male dalmation male molly to the tank, which my creamcycle had become quite attached to. They are always swimming together. My water is 78 degrees, 7.6 pH, 0 nitirites 0 ammonia. 30 percent water change weekly and siphon/60 percent water change and media change monthly (not the same day). My town water is hard, which makes water changes mandatory (gh and KH will get too high). I have an aquaclear 70 power filter, as well as a ten gallon whisper filter because of the plecos and mollys. I feed once in the morning and vary their diet..flakes, frozen shrimp, bloodworms, spirulina wafers, and a cuke once or twice a week.

A week after adding the male molly, I noticed my male bushy nose...Mr. clean becoming agressive toward the male and attaching to his body. I just found my male dead in the tank this evening. I have had other males in this tank with Mr. clean before (not as large) and had no problems. I rehomed them to give my creamcycle female a break -she had 6 batches of fry and seemed to be stressed out after the last one.

Is it territorial behavior? Should I move him to a larger tank? or just leave it stocked as is?
ziggey
Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.01(Tue)6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why your bristelnose is doing that but I have read that the pleco speacies can get a taste for flesh and orslime coating of fish and attach them selves as they like the taste now I'm not saying this it whats happening but it could be some thing to look out for.

I'm sure some else will be able to give you some better answers.

ziggey
Pavlos
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.01(Tue)10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

ziggey wrote:
I'm not sure why your bristelnose is doing that but I have read that the pleco speacies can get a taste for flesh and orslime coating of fish and attach them selves as they like the taste now I'm not saying this it whats happening but it could be some thing to look out for.

I'm sure some else will be able to give you some better answers.

ziggey

this is true but I had experience only for larger plecos... I saw some kinds of larger pleco that actually eat small fishes when the fish getting near their mouth
Niddhog
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.21(Mon)0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that when plecos (and other algae eating fish) begin to starve, they will start sucking out algae found in the slime coating of other fish. This is typically an act of desperation and not a normal feeding practice.

Do you add additional food for your pleco? I have fed mine lettuce and cucumbers, and have heard others claim broccoli works.

As for plecos eating live fish? I have heard accounts of this happening as well, especially if other fish have spawned fry in the tank (Abundance of tiny fish for a large pleco to swallow). I'm not sure but I think this mostly happens when they get hungry.
mrcleansmom
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.21(Mon)16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was giving him a zucchini slice once a week, as well as a spirulina wafer or two every other day. The mollys love the wafers-it's like world war III over them. Maybe I should have given him more. I try not to make a mess of the tank by overfeeding.

I just changed the type of wafer from the algae wafers you get in most pet stores to the spirulina wafers from Uncle Neds. I honestly can't believe the junk that is put in them. Wheat, soy, rice, etc. Probably used as fillers. algae is barely in the first 5 ingredients.

Thanks for the input. I'll make sure they are all well fed. I'll try distracting him with an extra slice of zucchini or cuke. So far he hasn't gone near any other fish and my creamcycle gave birth to another 20 fry (I'm sure more were eaten). They are in a baby tank and getting bigger. Anyone interested in a creamcycle/dalmation lyretail molly or two?
Washy
Members

PostPosted: 2009.10.16(Fri)14:41    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

OMG, I think the same thing just happened a couple days ago, right after I read this post. I noticed my male angel, who was the rowdy boss of my aquarium, staying in a corner and not chasing the other angels around the tank and just looking really depressed, I really felt bad and a little worried for him. Then I looked at his side and there was a mark that looked like the shape of a pleco's mouth! I stopped giving my bushynose whole pellets becuase he didn't always eat them and now maybe he bites my fish! Now my angel pretty much just stays on the side of the aquarium that the pleco isn't on but the pleco pretty much stays in the same place except at night. I hope he gets over it. I also have had swordfish mysterously die, though I think the pH might've killed since I never saw the pleco sucking on their bodies once they died.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.10.16(Fri)21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

bristlenose, does need a little protein in their diet. Give him a couple of shrimp pellets a couple times a week. They also like lots of veggies. It does sound like he isn't getting enough to eat. I have them with angels, discus and other large bodied fish and they don't bother any of them.
DJ-DON
Members

PostPosted: 2009.11.02(Mon)0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of this happening. go to www.planetcatfish.com and go into 1 of the forums there it should really help
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.11.02(Mon)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ-DON wrote:
I have never heard of this happening. go to www.planetcatfish.com and go into 1 of the forums there it should really help

Or listen to the very sound advice of some of the other posters on this thread, including the post above from susankatomerit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.11.02(Mon)14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many suckermouth catfish attach themselves to other fish, or pester them in some other way. It's an annoying behavior that I've seen Ancistrus species (bristlenose, bushynose, Bn) catfish do on occasion - usually with a fish who presents a broad side to them.

I know that many of you have not seen it, but that does not mean it doesn't happen.

My friend's female Bn sat on the nose of her giant spoonfaced whiptail, Planiloricaria cryptodon, and attached herself without scraping. The whiptail is a territorial fish and not afraid, so he was able to shake the Bn off, but she returned. I was starting to have a real concern about it but there was no resolution. The whiptail jumped out of the tank one day and died.

Conversely, other fish will bother suckermouth catfish by pecking at them. Livebearers are known for this. I bought a Baryancistrus beggini (blue panaque) from a dealer's tank full of Dalmatian mollies who had pecked his left eye out. In my own tanks I've seen female guppies peck at the Bn, and female Endler's peck at the Baryancistrus. It seems like only the females do it, in my case. One female ELB was so aggressive with my B. beggini that I removed her from the tank.

Other suckermouth catfish may attach themselves to flat sided fish, be it another suckermouth or a different species. I've been told of Sturisoma attaching to the sides of Discus, for example. For what purpose, I don't know and neither did the owner of the fish.

In my own tanks I've seen two different Otocinclus species (dwarf suckermouth cats) attach to the B. beggini, and try to attach to a Chaetostoma, both broad-sided, fairly stationary fish. Baryancistrus and Chaetostoma are territorial and aggressive fish and thrash until the offending suckermouth (or livebearer) removes itself or goes away. It doesn't happen that much in my tanks, but I have seen it the odd time, and I know how it works.

Certain suckermouth catfish will try to attach themselves to other fish. I don't think it has anything to do with food. It is a behavior that is related to substrate dependency, that is the need to attach themselves to objects, even for a brief time. Otos, for example, do not really swim as such but travel from perch to perch. On the way, they like to break up the journey by attaching to something. Sometimes, that is another fish. My Baryancistrus beggini is a inky blue-black fish with broad sides and seems to be very attractive to pesky fish.

I don't believe it has to do with the size tank, either. My friend's tank is a 150 and there is plenty of room for all. I know for a fact she overfeeds the tank (she won't like me saying it!) and there is no shortage of food - fresh or prepared. I've seen the behavior in my own tanks, specifically in the 75 and the 20H. As said, if there is one fish causing the problem, she gets removed.

When there is trouble in a tank containing a suckermouth catfish and livebearers, too, as in the OP's tank, I would look to the behavior of both kinds of fish. It may be a bad mix, in general, to have the Bns and the mollies in the same tank. Mollies are not great swimmers and the Bn would find it easy to attach to one, if that was what he wanted to do. Keeping in mind that my gorgeous B. beggini lost his eye to a tank of Dalmatians, I'm not very sympathetic to the mollies. Livebearers are pests, and even though I love my Endler's and my gupps, they can be pests and I would not mix them with suckermouth catfish unless the tank was set up around the suckers with plenty of caves and nooks and crannies for them to get into.

Mrcleansmom, you may need to totally rethink the mix of fish and the decor in the 30 gallon. Perhaps one or both needs to change. Bns are very popular and if you got them from a private LFS or individual you ought to be able to return them, if that is what you decide to do. Similarly, Dalmatian mollies seem to be very popular. I think you have some options, but I don't think you should consider this as a food problem or a territorial one, either. As to suckermouth cats sucking body slime from other fish, I believe this is an invented and oft repeated theory which has not been proven IMO. It sounds like a good explanation and I know people like to repeat it, but I wouldn't give it too much weight. In any case, incompatible fish cannot be kept with one another, so you have some decisions to make.

This may not seem like much of an answer, but there are many aspects of fish behavior that are not known to us until we start keeping them together in the tiny glass boxes we like to think are good homes for them. I'm sure your 30 gallon is clean and well-kept, and it sounds well-fed. You only need to reconsider what fish may be kept in it together.
HTH.
Very Happy

Deborah
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: