Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
USE of aquarium salt with plecos
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Kate49686
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.14(Fri)15:45    Post subject: USE of aquarium salt with plecos Reply with quote

I am considering using aquarium salt for my guppies. I am concerned as to if I do use the salt if it will harm the pleco I have in the tank. Will it?
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2009.08.14(Fri)21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

guppies don't need salt. neither do plecos, who would probably tolerate it but wouldnt enjoy it. why do you want salt? general opinion these days is that salt is an antiquated technique that has long since been proved unnecesary, especially for guppies. only brackish and marine fish need salt, and not table salt or aquaium salt you buy at the pet store, they need special marine salt mixes which contain, among many other things, strontium, iodide, calcium, etc. as opposed to just sodium chloride. oh and 1 last thing, how large is your tank? I doubt it will be large enough long term for a pleco.

Kate49686
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.14(Fri)21:50    Post subject: aquarium salt Reply with quote

I am looking to rehome the pleco. it is a 30 gal tank.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: