Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help unknown betta disease
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Creat
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.14(Fri)13:16    Post subject: Help unknown betta disease Reply with quote

Recently I have had an outbreak of ich in my betta's (All of which are housed seperatly, the disease was accedentally transfered using a net) I managed to get it under control but now a backlash has hit them again. Last night I lost a baby fry about 10 weeks old to a unknown disease and this morning my favorite show fish is showing the same symptoms. He is currently kept in a half gallon tank without a heater. the amonia is at 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate close to 0 or unreadable, I added a little more freshwater salt in hopes that that will help him. He was on medication for the ich but I recently cleaned the tank out of it so he is on nothing as stands. The fry was fine a week ago then suddenly stopped eating and started gasping for breath.The fry had clammped fins only for a few days then oppened them up 5 days before he died. My prize male right now is sitting lethatgic at the bottom of the tank gasping, fins clamped. He won't eat and hasent eatten for 3 days. There is a slight residue of what I beleive to be slime or white fuzz on the edges of all his fins but not his body. I'm getting very worried and I wish to keep this guy alive. If its any help he is a orange crowntail betta that is about 2 years old.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.23(Sun)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be columnaris. Columnaris is prevalent in tanks that have stagnant water and/or high temps.

How often are you doing water changes? Are you doing total changes, or partial? Since the tank is only 1/2 gallon, I would assume it isn't filtered? What temp does the tank usually sit at?

Unless you are doing very frequent full water changes and/or your tanks are very heavily planted, I doubt your nitrates are at or near 0. In fact, I doubt your ammonia/nitrites are 0.

Both ich and columnaris (and a host of other illnesses/diseases) can be related to poor water quality, and in small tanks it's difficult to keep the water quality up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Creat
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.15(Tue)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of columnaris. He's better now but I want to make sure that that never happens again. The 1/2 gallon is a quarentine tank that has water changed once a day about 10% . And because at that time it was unmedicated I threw a few extra live plants in for him.
He was at 78 degrees F when he was sick and is normally about 74
Do you think adding a air punp of some sort to smaller tanks would keep it from showing up again?
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.16(Wed)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

In unfiltered tanks smaller than 3 gallons, 100% water changes are required, because they are usually just too small to cycle. A 1/2 gallon tank needs daily 100% changes. Poor water conditions created by too few changes or not enough water being changed out leaves fish succeptable to disease, including ich and columnaris. What sort of tests are you using for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

74*F is too cold for bettas. The water should be kept at a steady temp of at least 78*F, preferably 80*F. Again, in a 1/2g tank you have very few options. There aren't really any heaters that can be used in that tank. I recommend at least 5g tanks for bettas... you can cycle, heat and filter tanks of this size.

Bubblers really won't help in tanks that small and will only make the betta more stressed. They generally do not like a lot of water movement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: