Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
10G medium light planted tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jakets
Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.21(Mon)15:54    Post subject: 10G medium light planted tank Reply with quote

This is the only tank I have now a days, its been doing very well lately, as 2 of the platies are pregnant and going to give birth soon, as well as a couple of the shrimp. In a week or so however I am getting rid of the platies as I have had them for several years now and am fairly bored of them as well as they tend to produce a LOT of waste. A single or pair of German rams will be replacing them. I've posted these pictures around the forums before, but wanted to make a single thread to show off the progress of the tank from here. Some of the plants are new this week and once the rams come will be getting moved around a bit, as well as adding some more moss or moss balls.

The tank is well maintained with a 25-50% water change every week as well as a stable 78* water temp. I dose with Leaf Zone weekly and it really keeps the plants going strong. I hope to try and add a DIY co2 soon, but am a little timid as I don't want to fix what isn't broken.

Whole Tank

Left

Right

Pregnant Shrimp

I appreciate any constructive criticism and advice. The current stock which is a bit high in my opinion is 5 platies of mixed variety (all over 2 years old and born in this tank, the parents died or were given away over time) 6-8 ghost shrimp and a beautiful 3" bushy-nose pleco (I hope to get a 20 gallon for him and everyone else this year).
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.21(Mon)17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tank is beautiful. Well done.

However, I'm afraid you will need that 20g (hopefully it is long, rather than tall) for a pair of GBRs. A 10g does not have sufficient footprint for those fish.

Since you are looking for something new, perhaps it's time to simply upgrade this tank. : ) With a 20g long your stocking options open up considerably. The GBRs could be introduced once the tank is mature (at least six months or more after cycling).

GBRs need excellent water conditions and higher water temps so I would not mix them with your existing fish, except possibly the BN plec.
Jakets
Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.21(Mon)17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it will be a long. I've been debating this a lot and I've read people argue both the 10 and 20G sizes for GBR's (even the gallery section on this site only says a 13G would be appropriate). I know a 20G would obviously be better for them but for the time being its just not an option yet, we need to get some things gone to make room for it. I am still torn and may just put off getting them till the 20G is an option. Thanks for the input and I will continue to weigh the option of getting them or waiting.

Like I said the platies are being re-homed later this week or weekend so that will be a non issue. I tested the water recently and it was all at 100% levels and has been for many months, I've never lost a fish due to quality in this tank in 2 years + (surprising but true, ick on the other hand... I learned my lesson on quarantining though. lol)

What temp is best for the GBR's? I have a heater but its just usually on the lowest setting as the fish seem to get stressed over 80* so it rarely clicks on.

Thanks again!
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.21(Mon)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBRs will enjoy 80F.

13g might be okay for a single specimen (though I wouldn't do it personally), but not a pair. Keep in mind these are territorial fish so they require sufficient room to feel they have staked out a space for themselves versus what they perceive to be the territory of other fish (even if the other fish aren't territorial).

If you know that a 20g would be better but can't fit it in right now, I think the responsible thing is to wait. : )
determinator
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.22(Tue)7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The GBRs could be introduced once the tank is mature (at least six months or more after cycling).

I was unaware there was a difference between a mature and a cycled aquarium. Could you link me to any good articles because I can't seem to find any.
Pavlos
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.22(Tue)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

determinator wrote:
Quote:
The GBRs could be introduced once the tank is mature (at least six months or more after cycling).

I was unaware there was a difference between a mature and a cycled aquarium. Could you link me to any good articles because I can't seem to find any.

my question is out of the topic... but I want to ask if anyone knows if kuhli loach and dwarf puffer need mature aquarium too... thanks for helping:)
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.22(Tue)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a good idea for those with off topic questions to simply post their own threads. Wink Not a good idea to thread hijack. Very Happy

To the OP: I LOVE your tank. It is positively stunning!

My vote would be to leave the tank as is, and set up a separate (larger) tank for the pleco and the GBRs. I would hold off getting the GBRs until you can set up a tank suitable for them. In the meantime, you could rehome the platies (since you mentioned wanting to do that) and get a few small fish as permanent residents in this tank. I'd go with one species: either a small, schooling fish like harlequin rasboras or neon tetras; or perhaps a group of Endlers livebearers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.09.22(Tue)13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely tank Jakets.

I agree it is too small for rams but you can often get a lone male of one of the smaller apistogramma species that should be OK and they have great character.
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.22(Tue)17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

determinator wrote:
Quote:

I'm afraid I don't know of any articles myself.

But the logic goes like this:

You set up your tank and fishless cycle it. Once it is cycled you can put your first few fish in. At this stage the tank is very new, but not mature. Why? Each time you add fish the beneficial bacteria need time to adjust to the increased bioload. The tank has not had an opportunity to really establish itself.

This adjustment period can go one of two ways: the bacteria either sufficiently compensate for the new waste, resulting in no impact on water quality, or the bacteria become overwhelmed (too many fish added at once or too quickly), so the tank undergoes a mini-cycle wherein ammonia and nitrites reappear for a short time. There are lots of other variables that factor into this time period too: are the other fish you're introducing good stock, did you accidentally bring disease into the tank, adding/changing/rearranging decor and plants, getting used to a maintenance schedule and adjusting it as required, etc etc etc.

This unstable time is too risky for more sensitive fish like GBRs. GBRs will react swiftly when water quality deteriorates even a little bit.

Thus, until the tank is fully stocked and then, once fully stocked, running smoothly for a good length of time, the tank is not mature (stable).

Think of it this way: when you move into a new home and get all your things unpacked and put away, does the new place instantly feel like home? Not really--it takes time to get that "lived in" feeling. So it is with aquariums: they need to be "lived in" before they are mature.
Arturo
Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.23(Wed)16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikelodeon79 wrote:
In the meantime, you could rehome the platies (since you mentioned wanting to do that) and get a few small fish as permanent residents in this tank. I'd go with one species: either a small, schooling fish like harlequin rasboras or neon tetras; or perhaps a group of Endlers livebearers.

I was thinking the same thing Surprised Your tank looks awesome Very Happy Post your GBR's if you get them Very Happy
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: