Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My old ten gallon
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
BarebackDreamer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.24(Thu)15:31    Post subject: My old ten gallon Reply with quote

Finally developed 5 rolls of old film that were in the closet. And one roll was entirely animals. Our chickens, rabbit, our beloved first rat, and one shot of my ten gallon. It's from about six or seven years ago. Are you ready? Now, this is a ten gallon. Remember that. This tank is no longer running and hasn't been for several years. The large goldfish was still alive in a pond somewhere last I heard of her. Two of the three cories are in my main tank right now spawning. They still hide in that cave thing you see. I do NOT recommend keeping fish in these conditions AT ALL. I was young and did not know any better.

Stocking from what I can see:
1x large goldfish that grew to that size in that tank.
6x other goldfish (one's behind another one)
1x cory

What else I know was in there:
2x cories
1x common pleco
1x ghost shrimp.
10000000x pond snails
at least 1x guppy
Possibly another goldfish or two.

Water change schedule:
Entire tank teardown and rock boiling and scrubbing out filter once a year. Or whenever it smelled too bad.

Filtration: Undergravel.

Feeding:
A lot. Often.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.25(Fri)8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! What a perfect example of what not to do!

I had similar tanks during my fish-having days... but none quite so... um... spectacular? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
BarebackDreamer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.25(Fri)15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing The tank below this one was a 2.5 gallon with a betta, apple snail, and otocinclus. They all survived a year or so without a single waterchange. Somehow.
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.25(Fri)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing how old were you?
My first tank when I was 6 my dad kept my stock in check except for the common pleco we ended up giving away. But that's when the bug bit me. I drug out the same tank and equipment a year ago and set it all back up and now I'm a full fledged addict Very Happy The original whisper 30-60 still runs like a champ! Its 20-30 years old Very Happy

But your tank is the perfect example of what not to do! Thanks for sharing Very Happy
BarebackDreamer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.25(Fri)17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in fifth grade. I had a ton of pets then. A rat, that tank, the tank with the betta, a dog, a cat, three chickens, a rabbit, a frog, I think we had a pigeon then too, and probably something else. I'm now in 12th grade and my tanks are much better. I think I still have that tank. The lid is on Andromeda and Rockstar's tank.
nikelodeon79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.28(Mon)8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fern wrote:
I drug out the same tank and equipment a year ago and set it all back up and now I'm a full fledged addict

I did the same thing! I used an old 20 gallon which was originally my parents... we had a terrible stocking nightmare that included a common pleco, RTBS (which my mom eventually flushed ALIVE because it was killing the other fish) several angelfish, a few goldfish Shocked won at the local county fair, and a bunch of assorted small, schooling fish that kept "mysteriously" disappearing.

I also used it in college with similar stocking nightmares.

After I again set it up a few years ago, I found this community and realized my stock was, once again, a nightmare. (This thread lists the stock). Thankfully, the folks on this site helped me clear it up and subsequently turned me into an addict.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.28(Mon)9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my 20g was my dads first tank as well. It is one of the 40+ year old tanks with the metal frame and slate bottom. I absolutely love the tank. I just found the original hood that matches the tank (a chrome look). I my redo the lighting fixtures in it and use it on the tank. It is defiantly a classic!
I may have to find some old pics of it and share as well Laughing
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: