Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Who's killing my swordtails ???
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
laknarf
Members

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)18:06    Post subject: Who's killing my swordtails ??? Reply with quote

One of my tanks, a 55 gallon has 2 medium size3d Angels, 6 smaller sizede angels, 2 clown loaches,2 syno catfish and 2 smaller sized black sharks with red fins, NOT the aggressive ones.

I wanted to add some live bearers in order to supply the angels with live food and decided on brick red swordtails. I purchased a trio and at the end of the first day a male and a female perished. I went out a few days later and bought a pair and once again the new pair were gone by the following day. A few days later I tried again and bought another pair and once again by the next day they too were missing. The only sword tail that is still in the tank from the 7 that I bought is one of the females from the original trio. I know that swordtails have a tendency to jump out of the tank, however these "missing" swords did not jump out.

Does anyone have any idea as to who is killing the swords ???
I haven't lost any other fish in the tank
The water poarameters are perfect in the tank
Why would one of the original trio still be alive and all the others gone?

Thanks for your input
Fern
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing either your angels or clowns.
The one from the fist batch may have been 'accepted' and therefore not harassed to death.
Topper
Advisors

PostPosted: 2009.07.21(Tue)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the swordtails missing (as in they are nowhere to be found)? If your tank does not have a hood/top and they are missing - in all likelihood they jumped out. They will jump given the opportunity. I have had adult swords (4" to 5") jump through the semicircle heater cutout on the back of a standard hood. I have found them in the filter (HOB) and also discovered dusty, dried swordtail bodies under the baseboard heater, under dressers, behind furniture and in a closet that was ten feet away from the tank.

It used to be told to us by more experienced hobbyists that they only jumped when the water conditions were poor. I can state from personal experience, it is not the case. It is in their nature and they are very good at finding voids.

The Angels might harass them, but I doubt that they would kill them. The CL's most certainly wouldn't waste their time with swordtails and the other fish should pose no threat either.
Classic
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.20(Sun)20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately the angels. they can become very harassive to large livebrearers. and the 2 shouldnt be 2 gether anyways because angels like soft water and swordtails like it hard.
laknarf
Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.21(Mon)8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I have solved the problem.
I moved the Synos and the sharks to my African tanks and have not had any problems since that time
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: