Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Fishes!! :D
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2009.08.07(Fri)1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a typical case of fish ending up in irresponsible beginner's hands and we are not to blame fishfanatic95 nor his/her father.

We live in cultures which are ego based and that is something hard to change. We need to HAVE IT and that is IT, no matter how many other creatures must pay with their lives!

I was ignorant when I once started. I remember the LFS guy telling me not to get the Bolivina Ram for my first 5 gallons tank but I HAD TO HAVE IT! (of course the fish died after a few month because of my stupidity).

Without certain laws fish will never be saved from such beginners like me and fishfanatic95 (and his dad). We are to learn the (for fish) hard way.

People should get issued Responsible Fish-Keepers certificate from their LFS and Local Aquarium Orgs after they have passed the crush course about Responsible Fish-Keeping and offered Aquarium forum links which might further help them help their fish pets.

I am starting to work for another aquarium shop the 17th August and will try and organise courses in Marine/Reef Keeping and Fresh-water fish/plant keeping.
I am not sure how often but I will try and have it every 3 month (4 times a year) which is not much but still a good start.

This is a complicated matter which needs serious attention, but sure not blaming anyone.

We all must change our attitude towards aquarium animals and give them their right to live. We are not to treat them as a product which costs so much. They are living creatures of this planet as we are. Even if we purchase them they do not belong to us, we simply look after them, we serve them ... if not they sure will die premature or become diseased.

We must change our attitude and rise this awareness to effect the global mentality and to do this we are to approach each individual respectively with the same law and that is EDUCATION. Yes I know crush course are can not teach you all but it is a start, rather than simply asking the salesman "2 Goldfish" and they say "Here you go, 15 bucks please" !

Instead the LFS salesman could say with a smile on his/her face "The Law states that you are entitled to purchase all equipment necessary and even plants but living creatures like fish and crustaceans are to be sold only to people which acquired the Responsible Fish-Keepers Certificate here at our store or in your local Aquarium Organisation. We organise such crush courses about Responsible Fish-Keeping every Friday evening between h-h"

One could also do these courses ONLINE, controlled by some animal protection org. I am only brain storming here but I FEEL this being possible!

I wish I could know where to start with this? Who to talk to first?

Regards, Dusko
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.11(Tue)8:17    Post subject: Great Idea! Reply with quote

This is a wonderful idea Dusko. If this could get implemented, we would have A LOT of people with successful tanks and A LOT of discouraged first-timers who would leave fish-keeping to the people who care about the animals that they are entrusted with. If you do this successfully, you should definitely try to push it as hard as you can. I, for one, would be behind you 110%.

Fishfanatic95 - Those Red-Fins are going to get territorial quick. Keep an eye out and if they start into each other, please return all but one or all of them (or all of your fish) and get store credit until you come up with a stocking list that meets the right capacity for your tank. Also, those bala sharks are going to get big and need a lot of room. They can grow up to 14" long! Shocked If you need help, post questions on here and we (members here) would be more than willing to help you out. Bring us some of your fish suggestions and we'll get you started.

One other thought. When we say tropical, that means heated water. Goldfish are kept in cold water and are BIG waste producers that require a lot of tank cleaning. Hope this helps!
amberstorm
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.08.31(Mon)13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best advise I can give as a fellow newbie is to take a look at the gallery on here. I have found it to be easy to use and very informative. I like the garden section as well the pictures on there are usually good and make identifying the plants easier and even if u are not 100% sure on the identification at least you have a botanical name to search the net for any other pics. this is an awesome site for a newbie lots of easily accessible info and helpful people. enjoy your tank I have endless hours of enjoyment from my two. Very Happy
Niddhog
New Members

PostPosted: 2009.09.21(Mon)0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycling is CRUCIAL to properly setting up a tank. Your filter needs to grow a proper culture of bacteria to maintain the proper balance of compounds in the tank. Typically decomposing matter in your tank (poop, uneaten food, dead fish, plant leaves) will rot and create highly toxic ammonia (goldfish are messy fish and will produce extra amounts!). You will then need a culture of bacteria to properly break down ammonia into nitrite. Nitrite itself is toxic as well and you will need another culture to transform nitrite into relatively harmless nitrate. I say "relatively harmless" because nitrate is highly nutritious and will typically lead to algae growth.

For new tanks, they will have virtually none of these cultures- adding several fish at once will overload the system and lead to high spikes in ammonia. Rarely add more than a few fish at once to new/developing tanks.

To have the tank properly cycled, after adding the first few fish (ammonia needs to be present to start the cycle, else the bacteria starve before becoming established) add in bacteria you can buy at a good fish store to "seed" your tank, or add in gravel from an established tank. Check our water levels, at first you should have a spike in ammonia. After a ~2 weeks the ammonia should drop and nitrite will appear. After a few more weeks the nitrite will drop off and nitrate will appear. Once the nitrate appears add in a few more fish, wait a few more weeks as the biological filter adjusts to the heavier load, and repeat until your aquarium is maxed out/you are satisfied.

Adding several fish at once will overwhelm the tank and cause a deadly spike in ammonia (water will usually get cloudy with high levels). Also, once the tank is established, a partial water change is required to keep nitrate levels low (once a month typically, ~15% of the tank).

OH YEAH! As mentioned earlier goldfish are coldwater fish (can easily be left in outside ponds that experience yearly freezes), while all your other fish are tropical and require much higher temparatures.
Classic
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.09.21(Mon)11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

also none of the fish you have are completely compatible.
Rainbow sharks should be kept away from theyre own kind when they are older unless the tank is HUGE and has many hiding places. also the goldfish are coldwater and should not be in there at all. loaches would work great, but guppies and small tetras may get eaten by the bala shark and rainbow shark when older. remember bala sharks can grow to 12 inches, but usually max out at around 8 and Rainbow sharks can grow to 6 inches.

good tetras would be larger ones like Bleeding Heart Tetras, Emperor Tetras, Buenos Aires Tetras, Black Widow Tetras, Diamond Tetras and Congo Tetras
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: